Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the Difference Between

1. Dec 1, 2007 #1
    1) Let [tex]E[/tex] be a measurable set of finite measure, and [tex]\{ f_n \}[/tex] a sequence of measurable functions that converge to a real-valued function [tex]f[/tex] a.e. on [tex]E[/tex]. Then, given [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and [tex]\delta[/tex], there is a set [tex]A\subset E[/tex] with [tex]mA < \delta[/tex], and an [tex]N[/tex] s.t. [tex]\forall x\notin A[/tex] and [tex]\forall n \ge N[/tex], [tex]|f_n(x) - f(x)| < \epsilon[/tex].

2) Egorov's Theorem: Let [tex]E[/tex] be a measurable set of finite measure, and [tex]\{ f_n \}[/tex] a sequence of measurable functions that converge to a real-valued function [tex]f[/tex] a.e. on [tex]E[/tex]. Then there is a subset [tex]A\subset E[/tex] with [tex]mA < \delta[/tex] s.t. [tex]f_n[/tex] converges to [tex]f[/tex] uniformly on [tex]E\setminus A[/tex].

Most texts prove #2 from #1, and I'm confused as to what the difference is. I always thought the definition of uniform convergence was that if [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] is given, we can choose an [tex]N[/tex] such that [tex]\forall n \ge N[/tex], [tex]|f_n(x)-f(x)| < \epsilon[/tex].

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't seem to wrap my brain around it. Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted