Understanding Tensor Components: The Role of Index Order in Vector Spaces

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the conversation discusses the components of a tensor in a vector space V and its dual V*, as well as the meaning of the order of the indices in the components. It is suggested to consult sources such as Geroch's "Geometry of Physics" or Nakayama's "Geometry, Topology and Physics" for further understanding.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Say V is a vector space with base {e_i}, V* is it's dual with dual basis {e^i}. If someone says that [itex]T^i_{ \ j}[/itex] are the components of a tensor, then I know this means that the actual tensor is

[tex]\mathbf{T}=T^i_{ \ j}e_i\otimes e^j[/tex]

The order of the indices of the components of T indicates on which set is T acting. In this case, V* x V. Were the components [itex]T_j^{ \ i}[/itex], T would have acted on V x V*.

Now my question.

If [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is a function from vector spaces V to W of respective bases {[itex]e_i[/itex]} and {[itex]\tilde{e}_i[/itex]}, and if we define the components of [itex]\Gamma[/itex] as the numbers [itex]\Gamma_i^{ \ j}[/itex] such that

[tex]\Gamma(e_i)=\Gamma_i^{ \ j}\tilde{e}_j[/itex],

is there a meaning to the order of the indiced, or could I have just as well noted the coefficients as [itex]\Gamma^{j}_{ \ i}[/itex]?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, quasar987, have you looked at Geroch, Geometry of Physics or Nakayama, Geometry, Topology and Physics? These should answer your questions.

Chris Hillman said:
Hi, quasar987, have you looked at Geroch, Geometry of Physics ...

Frankel? :smile:

George Jones said:
Frankel? :smile:

Presumably, although Geroch's Mathematical Physics, if I recall correctly, also discusses this.

Chris Hillman said:
Hi, quasar987, have you looked at Geroch, Geometry of Physics or Nakayama, Geometry, Topology and Physics? These should answer your questions.

Nakahara, maybe ? :rolleyes:

Daniel.

What's the difference between a hypothesis and a theory?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon that has not yet been extensively tested or proven. It is based on limited evidence and is subject to change as more evidence is gathered. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation for a phenomenon that has been extensively tested and supported by evidence.

What's the difference between accuracy and precision?

Accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true or expected value. Precision, on the other hand, refers to how consistent or reproducible a measurement is. A measurement can be precise but not accurate, or accurate but not precise.

What's the difference between qualitative and quantitative data?

Qualitative data is descriptive and non-numerical, often collected through observations or interviews. It can provide insight into the opinions, attitudes, and behaviors of individuals. Quantitative data, on the other hand, is numerical and can be analyzed using statistical methods. It can provide precise measurements and allow for comparisons and generalizations.

What's the difference between a control group and an experimental group?

A control group is a group in an experiment that does not receive the experimental treatment and is used for comparison. An experimental group, on the other hand, is a group that does receive the experimental treatment. The control group allows researchers to isolate the effects of the treatment and determine its true impact.

What's the difference between a dependent variable and an independent variable?

A dependent variable is the variable being measured or observed in an experiment, and it is affected by the independent variable. The independent variable is the variable that is manipulated or changed in an experiment, and it is believed to have an effect on the dependent variable. In other words, the dependent variable depends on the independent variable.