Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical What's the difference

1. Jul 25, 2011 #1
    what's the difference............

...................between amphetamine and methamphetamine, effect wise?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2011 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

4. Jul 27, 2011 #3
    Re: what's the difference............

yeah, well. they have the pretty much the same physical and psychological effects. still, i haven't heard of 'amphetamine' abuse. so i was wondering what makes methamphetamine different from amphemphetamine.

5. Jul 27, 2011 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Different in what sense? Whether or not you have heard of abuse depends on what country you live in and what your social circle is. Also the definition of "abuse", recreational use of amphetamine is far more common in the United Kingdom (MDMA is very popular whereas crystal meth is more or less unheard of).

6. Jul 27, 2011 #5

MDMA is a methamphetamine just like crystal meth. The difference between an amphetamine and a methamphetamine is a methyl group on the amine moiety.

As far as the difference in effects go, they work very similarly (CNS stimulation, euphoria, modulation of neurotransmitters etc). They are also metabolized in very similar ways IE CYP450 enzymes, oxidations, conjugation to glucoronides etc.

As far as the subjective experiences go, I'm not really sure. I have heard that crystal meth is very harsh causing psychoses and such in addicts.

7. Jul 28, 2011 #6

so is the consumption of both drugs pretty much the same as a whole? and if one dominates, is it due to sociopolitical, geographic, or economic factors or is there any other reason?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook