Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the Etymology of your PF Name?

1. Dec 3, 2004 #1

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Has anybody besides me wondered about some of the names chosen for one's PF ID? When I first found this place I used to wonder about the name Hurkyl all the time. Is it really his name or does it mean something mysterious? Integral sort of made sense to me, him being a science whiz and all.

But what's the deal with Boulderhead? Is his head huge, hard, volcanic, smooth . . .?

Nereid! What the hell is going on there? I keep getting images of a genius alien here teaching us clueless humans good stuff.

Selfadjoint. . . explain yourself.

What about Moonbear. Does she moon bears?

Tribdog, I hate to even imagine what he's got going on with doggies.

Smurf, is he a little purple thing with hair flying off in every direction?

Chroot, everytime I hear that I think of cigars for some reason.

Evo, is that a secret little way of saying evil?

Fliption, I don't think I'll ever figure that one out. Does he flip people off, or flip out, or flip cards, or what??

Les, well, I'm stuck with it. My mom named me Leslie!!!!!!!! :cry: Jeez mom, that's a girls name! So I've been just "Les" ever since.

Anyway, if you care to share the etymology of your PF name, please do.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2004 #2
    :biggrin: :biggrin: This should be an entertaining topic. I may have answered your question in another thread but my memory is unclear on that point.

[edit]
    I understood men named Leslie tend to be touchy on how others pronounce it. For instance 'Leslie' is OK but 'lezlie' is insulting. Is this so, or is my information faulty?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2004
  4. Dec 3, 2004 #3
    mine is too complicated to write out :biggrin:

5. Dec 3, 2004 #4

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

So I can I assume you didn't like the "huge, hard, volcanic, smooth" comments about your head?

6. Dec 3, 2004 #5

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Just explain your avatar and I am sure it will satisfy a great many members.

7. Dec 3, 2004 #6
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :biggrin:
    That is very funny, but I'm sorry for making you think that. Lol, now that I read it all over again it does make me laugh. Ok, are you certain you really want to know?

8. Dec 3, 2004 #7
    If you can't guess mine, well...

Franz Kafka + Friedrich Nietzsche = Franznietzsche

Kafka was an existentialist author, his stories focused on the absurdityof life, alienation between people, fundamental loneliness of existence.

Nietzsche had a lot of ideas, some good, some not so good, and he was just about the most miserable human being of the 18th century.

9. Dec 3, 2004 #8

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nereid - one of the 50 daughters of Doris and Nereus ... also the name the name of a moon of Neptune (not hard to work out how astronomers decided to name those moons, consider that the first moon discovered is called Triton).

Of course, the biologists went and spoiled it - nereids indeed!

But, Les dear, this is the internet, and as the famous New Yorker cartoon goes, on the internet, nobody knows you're a dog :smile: :surprised :eek: :wink: :eek: :yuck: :!!)

10. Dec 3, 2004 #9

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Of course! Let's hear it. In the future I'll make sure to attach a smiley face to my comments (I was attempting deadpan humor, forum-style) so everyone knows I'm teasing. Greg, I'd love to know why you chose (what is it anyway, Bigfoot, a Wookie . . .?) for your avatar.

11. Dec 3, 2004 #10

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

YES, oh, and to satisfy the 'number of characters god, yes.

12. Dec 3, 2004 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I don't explain now, someone will look up the reference and it will be even more awkward!

I used to play Magic: the Gathering. I first got hooked up to the internet through Prodigy, and I participated in a M:tG role play forum, playing two married M:tG characters Hurkyl and Drafna. I eventually developed Hurkyl to have a good personality and Drafna to have an evil personality, so I usually wound up RPing Hurkyl, and only bringing in Drafna to mess things up from time to time. Since I signed off as Hurkyl most often there, I began to sign off as Hurkyl through other media, as it was more familiar, and it just stuck.

Oh, I almost forgot why it's awkward: well, Drafna was the husband...

Greg's is Harry, I think. You know, the sasquach that lived with the Hendersons.

13. Dec 3, 2004 #12
    Hurkyl, if understanding that could have saved my mortal soul I would surely be dead now. I absolutely have no idea what that was all about but don’t think it would be worth anyone’s time trying to explain it to me either, thanks! :biggrin:

14. Dec 3, 2004 #13
    Les you never included me. :sad:

Dekoi.... originated from the word "decoy".

I guess it is a satire -- i am in fact -- or so i see myself -- as the antonym of decoy.

Just a curious question: are moderators given the right to change people's nicknames on request? I know that they can , but do you do it on request?

15. Dec 3, 2004 #14
    Long, stupid story. What's interesting is that half the people I know actually call me 'check' instead of my real name.

16. Dec 3, 2004 #15

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On the surface, SelfAdjoint is pretty straight-forward ... look at his background and interests, and think maths and matrices.

No doubt, given his rich experiences and long life, there are many layers to the name ... I confess to having wondered just how many and what ... I do hope he'll oblige us!

17. Dec 3, 2004 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Les, yes, Evo=Evil, but let me explain. My younger daughter has a way of ALWAYS getting what she wants, from EVERYONE. She has incredible robin's egg blue eyes and a can make a face that makes you melt, so I started calling her the "child of evil", which became the "child of evo". That would make me "Evo". :zzz: :zzz:

18. Dec 3, 2004 #17

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's such a good feeling when a plan comes to fruition!

19. Dec 3, 2004 #18

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Don't take it personally that I didn't mention you. I was sitting here trying my best to remember who I've wondered about. You are a relative newcomer here, so maybe next year we'll all start teasing you. :smile:

20. Dec 3, 2004 #19

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Just for the record, my joking about everyone's name is totally done with affection and respect. I've disagreed at one time or another with most of whom I've named, but usually while admiring their knowledge and debating skills. SelfAdjoint's breadth of knowledge in particular has been impressive.

21. Dec 3, 2004 #20
    What, not even a smiley? :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?