Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the most mileage you ever put on a Vehicle?

1. Jan 12, 2004 #1
    Presently, and still in use, my '84 s-10 pick up with 261,000+ miles.
    what about you or someone you know?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2004 #2
    86 VW Jetta Diesel ~546,000 Kms = (roughly) 13 times around the planet, oH and Ummmm, should we include commercial driving in this? like in 'trucking'?
  4. Jan 12, 2004 #3

Science Advisor

Heh, 36,000 miles. I'm not kidding. Every car I buy gets totalled by some nut or drunk. I am no longer a defensive driver, I am a PARANOID driver. You are all out to get me.

5. Jan 12, 2004 #4
    Here's a rather extreme solution:

Reinforce your car with tempered steel skirtings (a la bumper cars) that are connected to the car's steel frame. Permanently weld it together and place a cowcatcher in the front, protecting against head-on collisions. Make the car bulletproof and attach a rather large cannon on top with auto-targeting system if anyone swerves into your path.

That should discourage them.
  6. Jan 12, 2004 #5
    Now that is a good solution. Most mileage i have put on a car is...uhm...32926...that is my current mileage on my car...and...since i am 18, and have had my liscense for a little over a year, that is pretty much all i have been able to drive.
  7. Jan 12, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i just traded in a 96 GTI with 98000 miles on it...i heard horror stories of what happens to volkswagens when they hit 100000, so i bought a different VW with less miles on it...
  8. Jan 12, 2004 #7
    Only if you forget to change the timing belt....
  9. Jan 12, 2004 #8
    75K- my current Ford Taurus.

And I also got a used 86 Renault alliace with 140k miles and put another 60 on it before it died and I left it. That car was a rusted out piece of junk, but it sure ran like a champ.

I also probably hold the record for the most cars own- 22 by the age of 24- and I didn't even start driving until I was 18- do the math. Of course after 24 I slowed down a bit(got some decent cars).

My favorite was the Nissan 280ZX. That was a rusted out hunk of junk, but it had twin turbos, so that thing could fly.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?