What's the name of this mechanical component?

In summary, this spring-like device is used to push air out of an object, and can be expanded with different attachments. It is made of plastic, and does not have valves.
dE_logics
I have this spring sort of thing it looks like this -

attachment.php?attachmentid=22384&stc=1&d=1260439097.jpg

What we can do with this is push it form the top, it compresses (the middle section which is not straight is a spring sort of stuff) and forces the air inside the arrangement out...sorta like a hand blower.

When you release the pressure it's shape pops back to normal.

So what is this thing?...what do you call it?...I need more info on this.

Edit -- The whole thing is made up of plastic

Attachments

• what is this?.jpg
    what is this?.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like a bellows to me. There are different kinds of metal bellows:
1. Edge welded
2. Hydro-formed.

This looks like an edge welded. They start with metal disks, usually stainless steel, and weld along the ID and OD to make a bellows as shown in the picture.

Note that all metal bellows have some inherent spring rate. Springs are sometimes put inside them but that isn't always the case.

Q_Goest said:
Looks like a bellows to me. There are different kinds of metal bellows:
1. Edge welded
2. Hydro-formed.

This looks like an edge welded. They start with metal disks, usually stainless steel, and weld along the ID and OD to make a bellows as shown in the picture.

Note that all metal bellows have some inherent spring rate. Springs are sometimes put inside them but that isn't always the case.

No no no...I don't think a bellow will do...the whole thing is made of plastic (the one which I got).

It does not have any valves.

Is it solid plastic? Or could it be a plastic bellows?

http://www.ameriflex.net/images/bellows3.jpg

lachenal%20fancy%20bellows%20green.JPG

http://www.axialdynamics.com.au/big%20conv%20bellows.jpg

Are these compressable?...if so I think this is a sort of bellows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q_Goest said:
Is it solid plastic? Or could it be a plastic bellows?

Thin and flexible plastic.

Your first attachment (looks like a 3D render) is a lot like the little hand-sized pump on a siphon I have. You put one end of a neoprene tube in your gas tank and the other end in your mower - edger - etc. tank, then squeeze the plastic pump till gas is flowing. There is a little plastic "flapper" type check valve inside one end of the thing which makes it work.

Your other attachments look like an assortment of expansion joints for ducting or piping of one sort or another... except for the green thing which looks like a fancy fireplace bellows and the copper things which look like they might be used to increase the surface area for cooling of something.

dE_logics said:
http://www.ameriflex.net/images/bellows3.jpg

lachenal%20fancy%20bellows%20green.JPG

http://www.axialdynamics.com.au/big%20conv%20bellows.jpg

Are these compressable?...if so I think this is a sort of bellows.
Those are piping expansion joints. They are flexible and can compress but not easily. They are to allow for thermal growth and misalignment in piping systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
tyroman said:
Your first attachment (looks like a 3D render) is a lot like the little hand-sized pump on a siphon I have. You put one end of a neoprene tube in your gas tank and the other end in your mower - edger - etc. tank, then squeeze the plastic pump till gas is flowing. There is a little plastic "flapper" type check valve inside one end of the thing which makes it work.

Your other attachments look like an assortment of expansion joints for ducting or piping of one sort or another... except for the green thing which looks like a fancy fireplace bellows and the copper things which look like they might be used to increase the surface area for cooling of something.

Yes, it looks like the thing that you have which you use on a siphon...except that it doesn't have a valve.

Any name for it?

And yeah, the first attachment is a rendered image.

It's still called a bellows whether it's made from steel, plastic, rubber or ...

Q_Goest said:
It's still called a bellows whether it's made from steel, plastic, rubber or ...

Ok then, thanks!:smile:

1. What is a mechanical component?

A mechanical component is a part or device that performs a specific function within a larger mechanical system.

2. How do you identify a mechanical component?

Mechanical components can be identified through their physical characteristics, such as shape, size, materials, and any distinguishing features or markings.

3. What are the different types of mechanical components?

There are various types of mechanical components, including fasteners, bearings, gears, belts, pulleys, valves, and many others. These components can be categorized based on their function, location, or design.

4. How do mechanical components work?

Mechanical components work together to transfer energy or motion from one part of a mechanical system to another. They may also help to control or regulate the movement of the system.

5. Can you give an example of a mechanical component?

An example of a mechanical component is a screw, which is a threaded fastener used to hold two or more objects together. It can also be used to adjust the position or tension of a part within a system.