What is the plural form of Octopus?

• Thread starter DeadWolfe
  • Start date
In summary: There was another truck full of snakes and alligators that was an hour ahead of them, so luckily we didn’t have to deal with the alligators,"Buchanan...In summary, a truck carrying octopuses crashed, but none of them were harmed. All of the exotic fish in the truck died.
I think what important is that people understand what you are trying to say, if it turns into some sort of etymology dicussion it usual isn't anything to do with your prose or a thread, but more to do with lack of reason to argue with it. At least in a forum and in real life also.

Pedantic points are fine, but most people ignore them as they are of little worth if the discussed point were fully understood by all. When someone who is foreign to the language gets pulled up it's educational, when a versed speaker get's pulled up you can usually tell that they don't want to respond to your points because they are troubling, so they resort to picking apart grammar and spelling, beware all pedants, they are seldom worth your consideration, and in fact it's against many of the more educated forums rules; Speak your mind, if someone doesn't follow your exact meaning they will usually have the decency to ask you to clarify, if not ignore them.

You should spoke what you believe and hope people would consider it in the interest of continuation for discussioned purposes.:smile:

Plenty of grammatical error but was the prose understandable and was the conjugation acceptable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(Sorry for this in advance)

So letz continu ta mutlate tha english language

don't matter slong as yu understoods

Gelsamel Epsilon said:
(Sorry for this in advance)

So letz continu ta mutlate tha english language

don't matter slong as yu understoods
:rofl: The problem is, it can quickly deteriorate to the point where you're not understood. You should have seen the thread where we were all trying to translate the text messages someone (Chroot maybe??) was getting mistakenly sent to his phone! :rofl: We started to suspect it might be a foreign language.

Brinx said:
Spouse, spice.

i like this plural

If you're are Scotish the plural of moose is mouses or mice.

As in their's a moose loose around this hoose.:smile:

yep. got ths song?

Rach3 said:
I'm rather sure it was originally octopi inheriting the Latin declension, and octopuses was a bastardization. Some people would say adding the "es" makes it a standardization, because it agrees with some other plural forms. I call it bastardization.

Actually it is a hellinicised Latin word. A word that was used in latin from Greek (latinised Greek). So it is really a greek word, putting an 'I' on the end would be a Latin suffix, the Greek plural should be octopodes...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Octopus