Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats the point of anti-gravity

1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    I don't understand the reasoning behind trying to discover anti-gravity. Attach a rocket to a load and make it accelerate at 9.8 m/s^2 and youve got an "anti-gravity" vehicle. It defies gravity as if it didn't exist.

So reasoning says, what would be the use of anti-gravity if it did exist and or what properties would even make it remotely useful? It would have to still use the same amount of energy to make an object escape a gravitational well as conventional methods do otherwise it would be against conservation of energy.

EDIT: Sorry I thought this was General Physics, not General Math, someone please move the thread.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is not a math question. I am going to move it to the general physics section.

It is a question of "force". You have to apply a lot of force to overcome the weight of an object- especially a very heavy object- and that is expensive. An "anti-gravity device" or even a "gravity shield", if such a thing were possible, would eliminate the weight immediately, supposedly without the application of enormous forces. Without gravity there would be NO "gravitational well" and so it would NOT take "the same amount of energy to make an object escape a gravitational well". Yes, that would violate "conservation of energy". That's the point!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?