What's the point of life

• Thread starter alexsok
  • Start date
Hehe good.
Trust me, when they screen the second episode of Prison Break soon, i'll forget about this existential upheaval, at least for a while, like a long overdue respite ;)

Hehe ;)

Prison Break is good!

Anyway, don't want to go off topic.

well.. it is reasonable question and has been asked from the start of the time when humans found themselves in this universe.

For me, I think the answer is simple. If we want to know why we are created and for what, simply we should ask the creator about that.
Now, in order to access the creator, we should investigate the different pathways toward him and find the correct one, the one which proves itself and provides evidence of the truth of every point it states, even the question of the existence of Creator in the first place.
As I see when many people refer to religion, they think of it as "faith" without any evidence just to keep the hopes of humans alive in this hopeless world. Well, that's I think because either they didn't read about religion ,or read or believe in one that is not satisfactory and evidence-based. Just like we don't accept the scientific theories unless they are supported with enough evidence, I think every person should judge the truth of religion in just the same way, but with differences in the form of evidence,logical not empirical. When you know the true one, you can see what that tells you about the goal of life. Some missionary people just get surprised when asked about logical evidence, like the logical evidence of trinity. I think the religion has to prove itself for people in order for them to swallow it.
I liked what this writer in this article said about the goal of life:
http://66.113.138.253/books/other-lang/goal-of-life/01.html

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Can Man Live Without God?" -Ravi Zacharias

that book changed my life

PHP:
Kid_Electro said:
"Can Man Live Without God?" -Ravi Zacharias

that book changed my life
Please share how...and elaborate on the content of the book.

Omega_6 said:
PHP:
Please share how...and elaborate on the content of the book.
It is written by a noted apologist and philosopher. It explores how the reality of God's existence or lack thereof matters significantly in how we live our everyday lives. How we answer the question of God shapes the rest of our beliefs, for example perception of truth, morality etc...It does not deal a theoretical level of philosophy. More at a existential level attempting to reflect on the pains, sufferings, and meaning(s) of life.

It changed my life,by showing me many things that I did not know about Christianity,atheism and existentialists like Camus, Sartre etc.. and soon after I became a Christian.

Interesting. I have always been fascinated with books on religion and the holy books. There was one book I read (I don't remember what it was called) that was written by a rabbi who took an open view on religion. None of these books caused me to become a christian, however. When I was a kid my parents always took me to church, but when I was finally old enough (and confident enough), I stopped going. I guess you could say that I was never really a christian at all, even though I've been exposed to a lot of christianity. I would use the term agnostic to describe myself.
It is always nice to hear from the point of view of a non-fanatical religious person. What do you think about these questions? What actually made you become a christian? There has to be something in this book that really got to you.

Another Reply to alexok post #1:
Well, I have been asking myself similar questions. I have asked if this reality is really a trick by God. It doesn't make sense. I mean we don't know where we came from (how humanity got here) and then we have to suffer and die at the end of it, not knowing where we are going. I have started to ask if this is a joke. I at first took joy in at least knowing that others are here with me, but I don't even know that for sure since this could be God fooling my senses. I appreciate your opinions.

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dogonnit, people like me. This has been daily affirmations with Stewart Smalley" - Al Franken

Omega_6 said:
Interesting. I have always been fascinated with books on religion and the holy books. There was one book I read (I don't remember what it was called) that was written by a rabbi who took an open view on religion. None of these books caused me to become a christian, however. When I was a kid my parents always took me to church, but when I was finally old enough (and confident enough), I stopped going. I guess you could say that I was never really a christian at all, even though I've been exposed to a lot of christianity. I would use the term agnostic to describe myself.
It is always nice to hear from the point of view of a non-fanatical religious person. What do you think about these questions? What actually made you become a christian? There has to be something in this book that really got to you.
might that rabbi be Yeshayahu Leibowitz?

The philosopher said that the purpose of life was to search for the truth. The poet said that the purpose of life was to live. The preacher said that this life was to prepare one for the next life. And the mortician said that the purpose of life, in the end, was to keep him in business.

I dont think there is a purpose of life. I dont think there is a point in figuring out how the universe works either, because the big bang(or whatever created everything) couldve happened an endless # of different ways and the universe couldve turned out an endless # of different ways and the laws that we know could be totally wrong and theres just no point to anything. Im not depressed, just stating the truth.

Pythagorean

Gold Member
each person chooses their own purpose in life if their instincts haven't already.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
fedorfan said:
I dont think there is a purpose of life.
Since it is a matter of choice, why not choose the alternative belief? If you're wrong you'll never know. You win either way.

...tis a logical trap that is simple to escape.

I dont know, but I just think its all pointless. I have a fairly happy life, I love it. But I dont see a point in it all. Not in global view, but universal view. I always wanted to become an engineer, thats my global point, but universal view, nah, no point there. There could be an endless # of different universes out there yet we`re stuck here learning about so called `laws`. But yeah, you basically do make your own point of life. Ill be back after class.

What, is this thread done? I was hoping it wasnt.

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
fedorfan said:
What, is this thread done? I was hoping it wasnt.
What's to discuss? You say life seems meaningless, someone else says it isn't. So what?:confused:

Many human beings have pondered their existence.For you to do that alex, reaffirms that you are going down the path of many before you.It is healthy to ask, and much more satisfying to finally reach your destination.

Below is an essay regarding your very question that i hope helps you.
remember in my opinion the answer you are lookin for is this:"The Circle of Life."

I believe you asked your question out of a deeper want than "why am i here."

my philosophy is this: Simplify.

no one said it much better in my opinion than Henry David Thoreau:

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined! As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler, solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness."
`Henry David Thoreau

here's king soloman's answer to your very question.

Vanity.

THE SEARCH FOR MEANING
by Ray C. Stedman

http://www.pbc.org/library/files/html/3806.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
here's another interesting point:

think about this, some of the light we're seeing in our solar system is from billions of years ago.

http://www.spacetoday.org/SolSys/Comets/DeepImpact.html

heres a clip At 83 million miles from Earth, Comet Tempel 1 was near the Sun, but still 100 times too dim to be seen with the naked eye on Earth. However, the cone-shaped plume of debris sprayed into space as the impactor crashed into it made the comet more visible from Earth with small telescopes. It became six times brighter as seen on Earth in the moments after the crash.

alexsok said:
Hell i went from being depressed to being normal to being depressed, but one thing keeps bugging me... whatever i do, there is no answer to that question!
er, have you tried evolving your Consciousness?

bchmtnedisto said:
think about this, some of the light we're seeing in our solar system is from billions of years ago.
I don't believe in this. there is a more accurate denominator in this space-time dimension other than just the speed of light. I once read about a researcher, after a solar eclipse in which he was able to measure the exact moment the corona appeared faster when measured at ELF (extremely low frequency) thru a gravity unit than when measured at lightspeed.

Last edited:
you're probably trying to describe ether,or dark matter.however to this point e=mc2 has been proven correct.
doesn't matter really whether you believe it or not.it just hasn't been proven wrong.

bchmtnedisto said:
you're probably trying to describe ether,or dark matter.however to this point e=mc2 has been proven correct.
doesn't matter really whether you believe it or not.it just hasn't been proven wrong.
I have another postulation for this; let's just say another of my rocket philosophy:

"Since matter cannot exceed lightspeed, it duplicates instead when subjected beyond it."

I wonder if the recent physics books have already tackled up to this point. but in case it is yet to, just remember me o:) . I view physics visually.

up to this point, I guess believing may contribute to the edge of physics (this is not subjective approach, but rather relative to speed of light). Consciousness after all, is faster than light. I guess that's the essence of what faith is all about. one cannot be wrong if he did not claim to monopolize right, which is the error of some religions, especially the violent ones. the edge of physics will be philosophy.

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
artrocket said:
I have another postulation for this; let's just say another of my rocket philosophy:

"Since matter cannot exceed lightspeed, it duplicates instead when subjected beyond it."

I wonder if the recent physics books have already tackled up to this point. but in case it is yet to, just remember me o:) . I view physics visually.

up to this point, I guess believing may contribute to the edge of physics (this is not subjective approach, but rather relative to speed of light). Consciousness after all, is faster than light. I guess that's the essence of what faith is all about. one cannot be wrong if he did not claim to monopolize right, which is the error of some religions, especially the violent ones. the edge of physics will be philosophy.

The behavior of matter moving faster than light is clearly described by relativity. For starters it has "imaginary" mass (as in square root of =1). There is no sign of duplication. You may view physics visually but that doesn't mean your physics has anything to do with either genuine physics or reality.

selfAdjoint said:
The behavior of matter moving faster than light is clearly described by relativity. For starters it has "imaginary" mass (as in square root of =1). There is no sign of duplication. You may view physics visually but that doesn't mean your physics has anything to do with either genuine physics or reality.
but the propnent, Einstein said that it's "impossible" to exceed lightspeed. what did he describe then when matter moves faster than light, other than any object would transform into disc-shaped when it approaches near lightspeed? if there's no sign of duplication, your present devices may yet need to be upgraded. there's still a lot to be done for us Earthlings to reach the technology of interstellar travel. the statement "your physics" seems a mistaken notion that the views I'm saying are subjective, which aren't. however do not limit my reality with yours, I prefer to perceive beyond that.

Last edited:
but you forgot about worm holes and black holes.in theory it is possible to to span time by worm holes without exceeding the speed of light.

we're a tad off subject debatibly,but when one considers the vastness and enormity of our universe,maybe we are fully on subject.
so lets get back to alex's question."Why am i here?"
alex don't you see how as simple as we are compared to the vastness of our universe we're still an integral part of it.
when one of us dies, another is born.When a storm rages across the globe elsewhere a couple holds hands watching a beautiful sunset.
As one of us feels a heartache from a failed relationship another is feeling the unexplainable warmth and awkwardness of their first love,first kiss.
one ocean rises,while another recedes.one house is torn down while yet another is built.so you see alex it is all relative.we as humans and everything that isn't human is intertwined.

Have you ever stopped you car to help a turtle cross the road?
have you ever stopped your car to help a wounded bird?
Have you ever smiled at a lonely woman, and felt in your heart thats exactly what she needed?
Have you ever offered a stranger crying a shoulder to cry on or an ear to to listen?
Have you ever just let a spider keep it's web in the corner of your garage just because.
Have you ever been in love and felt the mystical feeling from your head to your toes?
Have you ever fathered a Child and felt the Heavenly feeling of becoming at one with the world and yourself.
Have you ever experienced the heroic act of saving another human being not knowing who or what took over your life to perform the miraculous task?
Have you ever prayed to God through Jesus and felt their presence as you prayed?

you see, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.We're all made up of matter.and in the scheme of this vast network alex you matter.
Why are you hear?because we need you.we need you for this intricate balance.
Try this the next time you feel unimortant.Go to any lake or pond ,or lagoon after dark and notice how every light in every direction beside and beyond is reflecting and shining straight at you.note that you're in the spotlight.No matter which way you move the lights shine straight at you.
The "whole world is your stage alex" just kick back and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving