What's the point of life

• Thread starter alexsok
  • Start date

baywax

Gold Member
I don't know if its a 'meaning' but I figure life and my participation in life presents a huge opportunity to get to know as much as possible about life. This means learning biology and as much other science as possible. It also means learning as much about other people too. It means getting to know about everything from sand to stars and all that's in between. And through that process it means getting to know myself and my response times, reactions and interpretations... and those of other people. These pursuits have to be some of the more exciting and rewarding opportunities life has to offer. And I guess that's what life 'means' to me.

As for point. What's the point of life?

Life is the point of life. Anything more complex than that would beg a definition of "point' and a more accurate definition of how "life' is being used in the question.

The point of life, without definition of either term, could be to provide entertainment for some gigantic electromagnetic being. Or, it could be the primary stage of a universal conscious-awareness. It can be pointless and it can be very pointy. But, to half-a++ed accurately render an answer to the question, the definitions should be clear.

Last edited:
Why we are God&Gods but not The GOD

The real issue is that we can't be Gods, mainly due to the fact that we can't influence our surroundings beyond the things we do on Earth (and even then, not all of us have that kind of influence). No matter what we do, the existence will still rear it's ugly head: every morning/night the same picture, same sky, clouds, stars, cosmos, you name it. That's something I see no solution for.

In terms of being successful here on Earth, sure, it would be wise to think of everything in positive terms, to follow your dreams and to consider yourself a God for yourself.

But that is the real subtlety here: if the universe doesn't care, then how is it a worthy life we live? no matter what we do, we are going to die. If a cure is found for Death (if such a thing is possible), then that would only exacerbate the problem because I would personally be unable to enjoy this daily repetitiveness and how exactly would immortality really be immortality if everyone in possession of arms would be able to kill himself? Sure, no physical death, but what about illnesses and about the aforementioned option? There are too many gaping holes to reach a reasonable conclusion

And then again... even then, the Universe wouldn't care:confused:

Someone said here, that because we are sentient being, we are so much more meaningful than the universe is as a whole... there is a modicum of truth in that as well, but only insofar as we're alive.
well its in the way of how a person can see it, for an example. say the creator is playing a game of chest, and we are the peices, and the board is the laws and rules that make up what can and cant be done, the spaces we move on are the actions that we do and wont do, so then that creator must move each piece among the board. But that would mean we would have no freewill to govern are own actions, the reasonable and logical a creator would pick would be to make every peice move its self among the board, so there for giving us freewill to think are own thoughts and move are selfs, instead of having a creator do those for us but just make us think that it's not making us. that would be why were God's mainly due to we have the power as the creator has of movment among the board. the reason why we are god and not the god, is because are flesh are all made and came from the same one spot in a past point of time, and in a way we would be apart of god, and its also why Jesus said that we all are god&gods, his true teaching never took hold, mainly due to the false perception of what he ment -.- so we are god&gods in a way, but were not the god that created everything. this is just one point of view out of the nearly infinit points of view of this concpet, there are even more way's of perception of those nearly infinit points of view of it -.- tends to make it hard for other to find somthing with in life that would satisfiy that of which there minds thought seeks. but in the end we will still need Food,Water,Air,Shelter,Entertainment, and love till the day we die :D so try not to be depressed or worry about like peeps just try to get your self those 6 things :D just make sure what entertainment you pick dosnt take away from anothers entertainment, hence "do onto others as one wants done onto ones self" and that would be a rashtional and reasonable thought and rule, mainly what math and science is, a hint about the creator was logical and allso didnt want to leave people any proof that they could share with others, only them selfs, kinda like the question "could you make your own new color thats not from light?" and the answer is no, even if you could imagen one, you wouldnt be able to show it to others mainly due to the point that there isnt any form of madder or word that could show others a new color that dosnt exsist :D. but you could prove it to your self. thats a parable that relates to the concept that we can only prove god to are selfs. o and to recap on the quote there are only a fixed amount of thoughts that can be thought but there are infinit points of perception of those fixed amount of thoughts, are brains give us the power of thinking with intelect and thoughts, so without a brain we wouldnt be as we are now, thats the only thing that we can prove with logic and thats we cant think or even be in the state that were in without are brain's, so when are bodies die it cant be proven what will happen or what will not happen. but logic points to we wouldnt be in the state that were in now. so its not confusing unless you make these things confuseing to your self or other's, ether you make it or you say it :D are brains are slaves to what are bodie's information feeds it, then were bound by are perception of that information :/ so i suggest re-verse engeneering back to the start of everything which would lead to The question where did the egg come from :D hence we would be the chicken and we all know we had to come from the egg, the egg would be the creator, but we wouldnt know were or be able to think were the egg came from :D thanks due to the same reason why we cant make a new color or make an new line formation that hasnt been made, due to the fact were not aloud to. just like a computer A.I. it can only do what we say it can and cant do. so the creator made a fixed amount of thoughts we could or couldnt do. based of what game board are pieces are on :D i hope this sheded some light and precpective on the matter of the question's and concepts

The point of life

I don't know if its a 'meaning' but I figure life and my participation in life presents a huge opportunity to get to know as much as possible about life. This means learning biology and as much other science as possible. It also means learning as much about other people too. It means getting to know about everything from sand to stars and all that's in between. And through that process it means getting to know myself and my response times, reactions and interpretations... and those of other people. These pursuits have to be some of the more exciting and rewarding opportunities life has to offer. And I guess that's what life 'means' to me.

As for point. What's the point of life?

Life is the point of life. Anything more complex than that would beg a definition of "point' and a more accurate definition of how "life' is being used in the question.

The point of life, without definition of either term, could be to provide entertainment for some gigantic electromagnetic being. Or, it could be the primary stage of a universal conscious-awareness. It can be pointless and it can be very pointy. But, to half-a++ed accurately render an answer to the question, the definitions should be clear.
The point of life is that it is pointless, for the only point it has is the point we make or say its that simple :)

if you pick nether then that would mean you would be living what you would like as a pointless life due to the fact that you havnt created a point that suites your perception of this world around you

i soOoOOo love parables :D

baywax

Gold Member
The point of life is that it is pointless, for the only point it has is the point we make or say its that simple :)
Then, tautologically speaking, life has a point in that it is an exercise in pointlessness. Biologically speaking the point of life is to reproduce itself. Dramatically speaking the point of life is to make rocks envious (a pointless endeavor).

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Then, tautologically speaking, life has a point in that it is an exercise in pointlessness.
Mm. So, what would the success criteria be?

The point of life is to DIE, and pay taxes in the process.

Seriously though, who cares what the point of life is? Thats a rather pointless question. a.) There is no answer to that, and b.) if there were an answer, would life be worth living anymore? Probably not. You'd have children and then die right afterwards.

I really dont see what you gain by this exercise.

Last edited:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving