1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the proof

1. Mar 8, 2005 #1
    I know that a projectile flyes the farthest, when it is louncht under a 45 degree angel. But I don't know how to proofe this. Any help would be apreeciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,then can u write down the equations of motion...?

Daniel.

4. Mar 8, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

45 degrees assuming no air resistance!

If the angle is θ degrees, initial speed v, then the horizontal and vertical components of initial velocity are vcos(θ) and vsin(&theta) respectively.

acceleration is 0 horizontally, - g vertically so
    velocity (t)= vcos(θ) horizontally, vsin(θ)- gt vertically.

position(t)= vcos(θ)t horizontally, vsin(θ)t- (1/2)gt2 vertically. (taking (0,0) as starting point.)

1. Solve for the time of impact (i.e. set height= 0, find non-zero t solution- it will depend upon θ).

2. Find horizontal distance at that time (again, it will depend upon θ).

3. Find the value of θ that maximizes that (differentiate with respect to θ, set equal to 0).

5. Mar 8, 2005 #4
    Thenks! I got to the 2'nd step myself but the third one is realy helpful. I didn't think about useing differentilas, becouse I only started takeing them a few weaks ago and I still don't find my way around very well. Thenks agein.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?