Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the protocol for when someone solves our homework question?

1. Oct 4, 2014 #1

DataGG

Gold Member

Hey there,

Back in PF-3 we had the "thanks" button, which we could use to thank whoever solved our HW question. We don't have that feature any longer, which begs the question:

What's the protocol for when someone solves our homework question? Should we "like" the post? Should we reply with a "thanks"? Should we PM the user with our life-story and ask him for money? Should we send him a picture of our... private parts... as a "thank you"?

\discuss

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2014 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Definitely go with the pictures. Asking for money is rude.

4. Oct 4, 2014 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It depends on the person, some hate likes, some like likes, others would rather you post a thank you in the thread.

5. Oct 4, 2014 #4
    You don't intend to do a research on cultural changes (i.e on online discussion boards), do you ? forums don't seem active like they used to be anymore.
    I also see people thank others who answered their questions on board but I expect them to say something else more than just "thank you" or "thanks".
    "Like" is fine, but that is too "facebooked".
    Other than that, I would love to add a link "Dislike" too to see who is for or against.

6. Oct 4, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think it's nice if people buy me drinks.

7. Oct 5, 2014 #6
    Why not like their reply AND post "thanks for the help"? Really solves everything.

As for posting intimate pictures.. Alas I feel it is more 4chan than physics forums, but you should definitively try it

8. Oct 5, 2014 #7

Zag

I agree with Nikitin, like the response and post a reply thanking the user who helped you.

9. Oct 5, 2014 #8

DataGG

Gold Member

That does seem to be the best option. I'll do it from now on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook