What's the purpose of a forum if discussion is not allowed?

• Thread starter fwc
  • Start date
In summary, Peter Donis jumped in and killed my thread after only responding himself. He said that this community is for learning mainstream published science, which is only for people who are already knowledgeable. He said that I lied about reading the rules and got my first two posts deleted. I read the rules and was quite embarrassed. I came here to get away from the cranks with their crackpot theories on the pop science forums. I should have looked in the mirror, it was only a matter of degree. I still have my speculations, but this is not the place for them. PS: Turns out there is still some room left in my brain, it just needs fed slowly.
fwc
I signed up for this site thinking I could ask some questions and get some pointers for further reading. But then this person Peter Donis, jumped in and killed my thread: "Thread Status: Not open for further replies" after only responding himself. I lifted this comment of his from another thread: "Please do not try to learn actual science from pop science videos and articles." I suppose this isn't the right site for learning and conversation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me guess, you didn't read our guidelines, did you? :smile:

This community is for learning mainstream published science.

It was closed by mistake. Reopening now.

No, you are correct, I didn't read the guidelines. Perhaps you should require users to read them before letting them enroll, or how about just having a friendlier way of telling people about your guidelines. Or make it somehow clear that: "this community is for learning mainstream published science" only, not for people just setting out on their learning. I did label my thread as "high school" level of understanding thinking that would be sufficient. Perhaps that shouldn't be an option if such level of understanding seems to be unwelcome. At the very least, I think this P. Donis fellow could tame his responses a little. It is very off putting.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
fwc said:
Perhaps you should require users to read them before letting them enroll, or how about just having a friendlier way of telling people about your guidelines

During registration you were required to click a box saying you read the guidelines and agree.

fwc said:
. Or make it somehow clear that: "this community is for learning mainstream published science" only, not for people just setting out on their learning.

Same thing. And during thread creation there is a side bar box with our values along with another link to our guidelines.

Likes pinball1970, weirdoguy, mfb and 2 others
fwc said:
"this community is for learning mainstream published science" only, not for people just setting out on their learning

I don't see why these two alternatives are mutually exclusive. Learning mainstream published science, if you don't currently know it, is "just setting out" on your learning.

I lied about reading the rules and got my first two posts deleted.
I read the rules and was quite embarrassed.
I came here to get away from the cranks with their crackpot theories on the pop science forums. I should have looked in the mirror, it was only a matter of degree.
I still have my speculations, but this is not the place for them.

PS: Turns out there is still some room left in my brain, it just needs fed slowly.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, DennisN, Tom.G and 3 others

1. What is the purpose of a forum if discussion is not allowed?

The purpose of a forum is to serve as a platform for individuals to exchange information, ideas, and opinions on a particular topic or subject. While discussion is a common use of forums, it is not the only purpose. Forums can also be used for sharing resources, asking questions, and providing updates or announcements.

2. Why would a forum not allow discussion?

There may be various reasons why a forum would not allow discussion. One possible reason is to maintain a specific focus on the topic or subject at hand. By limiting discussion, the forum can ensure that the content remains relevant and on-topic. Another reason could be to prevent conflicts or arguments from arising among members.

3. Can a forum still be useful without discussion?

Yes, a forum can still be useful without discussion. As mentioned earlier, forums can serve other purposes such as sharing resources or asking questions. Additionally, some individuals may prefer to simply read and gather information from the forum rather than actively participate in discussions.

4. How can a forum be effective if discussion is not allowed?

A forum can still be effective without discussion by providing a centralized location for information and resources related to the topic. This can save individuals time and effort in searching for information on their own. Additionally, forums can also serve as a platform for experts or professionals to share their knowledge and insights on a particular subject.

5. Are there any alternatives to forums for discussion?

Yes, there are other alternatives to forums for discussion such as chat rooms, social media groups, and online communities. These platforms may offer more real-time communication and interaction among members. However, forums can still be a valuable tool for sharing and gathering information, as well as connecting with like-minded individuals who share a common interest or passion.