Whats the purpose of squaring?

• Thread starter Dook
  • Start date
In summary: So, the square (or higher power) of a number is a useful quantity to calculate even if you are not calculating an area.In summary, squaring a quantity is not always related to calculating areas or volumes. In the equation E=mc^2, the c^2 term is used to represent the speed of light multiplied by itself. This is a shorthand way of writing it and does not have any direct relation to area or volume. The reason for squaring the speed of light is due to the natural progression of thought and mathematical derivations used by Einstein in his theories of relativity. Other examples, such as calculating the energy stored in a spring or the growth of bacteria, also show the usefulness of taking higher powers of a quantity
Dook
Whats the purpose of squaring? As in E=MC^2, what does squaring the speed of light do for the equation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"c squared" is shorthand for c times c. So e = mc^2 is equivalent to e = m * c * c.

Why multiply the speed of light times itself though?

I don't know. That's just how nature is, I suppose.

For one thing, it makes the right-hand side have the units of energy.
(kg)*(m/s)^2 = (kg m/s^2)*m = Newton*m = Joule

Muzza said:
I don't know. That's just how nature is, I suppose.

Hehe, that's how nature is or that's how our understanding of it is? Our understanding is not always so correct. But then, this is from Einstein.

If I was to do a calculation what would squaring it do for me? What's the purpose? Why did Einstein square the speed of light? Not because of anything he saw in the universe. I think his theories all came from math and not observation or experimentation so why multiply c times c?

Last edited:
Dook said:
Hehe, that's how nature is or that's how our understanding of it is? Our understanding is not always so correct. But then, this is from Einstein.

If I was to do a calculation what would squaring it do for me? What's the purpose? Why did Einstein square the speed of light? Not because of anything he saw in the universe. I think his theories all came from math and not observation or experimentation so why multiply c times c?
I think your example is too advanced for your question. Maybe you should start on something more simple like:

Kinetic Energy = 1/2 * Mass * Velocity * Velocity

Then maybe someone can actually explain it (I'm not a physicist so I can't)

But there are many mathematical patterns in nature, it’s sometime quite amazing.

Dook said:

It comes from pre-relatvistic physics + the two postulates of relatvity.

To see exactly why it is c^2 you have to look at the derivation:

http://www.ams.org/bull/2000-37-01/S0273-0979-99-00805-8/S0273-0979-99-00805-8.pdf

Okay so Energy = Mass times the speed of light times the speed of light. Now it seems to me the only time one would multiply something by itself is when they are trying to get the square area of it in two dimensions. I find this very confusing. The formula is telling us how much energy is hidden in mass (a great deal it seems) but mass has three dimensions so shouldn't the formula be E=MC*C*C?

You can't think of it in terms of area. That doesn't mean anything. You have to, instead, accept that Einstein didn't invent E=mc^2 out of nothing. There was a natural progression of thought using math that already existed. It was derived, not invented. As an analogy, consider the example of Kinetic energy as stated previously. KE = 1/2mv^2. This wasn't invented either, but was derived (specifically, it is the integral of Force over a distance ds by the Work-Kinetic Energy theorem).

So, making a short story long, the c isn't squared because Einstein likes squares, nor does it have anything to do with 'area' or 'volume'. It's purely mathematical.

There was a natural progression of thought using math that already existed. It was derived, not invented.- Antiproton

Yes indeed. Ultimately the square of c comes from the fact that we live in a universe where right triangles have a relationship between length of hypotenuse and lengths of sides that goes as the sum of the squares, a fact known back in the days of ancient Greek geometry, and probably known by some people even earlier than that.

Note to purists: Okay, given a curved spacetime, I should technically have said that in the limit of small right triangles there is a Pythagorean relationship...

E=mc^2 is equal to sqrtE=sqrtM*c

it was just easier to write E=mc^2

Dooky, perhaps you should consider an easier example in which you can clearly see and follow the derivation that results in squared terms that are unrelated to area.

How about this one. Consider a simple spring, the more that you wish to compress the spring then the harder you have to push it, easy enough to understand right. So mathematically this corresponds to F = k x, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance that you deflect the spring (from it's equalibrium position).

Now the stored energy E is equal to the integral of force F with respect to x. So,

E = integral (kx,dx)
= 1/2 k x^2

See that the x^2 is not directly related to area but appears in the formula just the same.

Last edited:
Antiproton said:
So, making a short story long, the c isn't squared because Einstein likes squares, nor does it have anything to do with 'area' or 'volume'. It's purely mathematical.
arent area and volume mathematical (geometrical) definitions?! (rhetorical question).

Calculating a square area is NOT the only reason for taking the second (or higher) power of a quantity.

Here is an example.

Suppose you have 1000 cells of bacteria and the bacteria reproduce at the rate of +20% every minute, which covers both reproduction and death. After the first minute, there should be

1000*(1 + .20) cells of bacteria

. This amounts to 1200 cells of bacteria. For two minutes the actual amount of increase is larger, because there are 1200 cells after the first minute, not just 1000. So, the amount after two minutes is

1000*(1 + .20)*(1 + .20)

or

1000*(1 + .20)2

. This amounts to 1440 cells.

. I have in fact calculated the second power of the growth factor to get the amount after two minutes. But it has not a thing to do with geometric squares.

After three minutes, the amount would be calculated with a third power,

1000*(1 + .20)3

The amount is 1728 cells.

This has nothing to do with geometric cubes.

These calculations are just a contingency of handling net growth over time as a fraction of quantity.

This is just one example where powers of quantities have nothing to do with geometry.

What is the purpose of squaring?

The purpose of squaring is to find the area of a square or to raise a number to the power of 2.

Why do we square numbers?

We square numbers to solve mathematical equations, find the area of shapes, or to represent a specific quantity or measurement.

What is the difference between squaring and multiplying?

Squaring is the act of multiplying a number by itself, while multiplying is the act of combining two or more numbers to get a product.

How does squaring relate to geometry?

In geometry, squaring is used to find the area of a square or to find the length of a side when given the area. It is also used to calculate the perimeter of a square.

What real-life applications does squaring have?

Squaring is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics to solve problems and make calculations. It is also used in day-to-day activities like calculating the area of a room or the number of tiles needed for a floor.