Understanding Relations of X, Y, C and P(x) in Sets

• Thread starter ptex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the conversation is discussing the sets X, Y, and C, as well as subsets P(x), A1, A2, A3, and Y. They are trying to understand how these subsets were created and whether A and B are relevant to the problem. However, there seems to be missing information and confusion about the relationship between A and B and the subsets.
ptex
This is the example I am going by;
X={a,b,c,d} Y={c,d} C={b,c}
P(x)={{a,b,c},{a,b,d},{a,c,d}{b,c,d}
{a,b},{a,c},{a,d},{b,c},{b,d},{c,d},
{a},{b},{c},{d},{a,b,c,d},{}}
This next part I do not understand? AUY=BUY
Code:
A[sub]1[/sub]={a,c,d},{a,c},{a,d},{a}
A[sub]2[/sub]={a,b,c},{a,b,d},{a,d},{a,b,c,d}
A[sub]3[/sub]={b,c,d},{b,c},{b,d},{b} (=elements of C)
Y={c,d},{c},{d}

What I would like to understand is how she came up with A[sub]1[/sub], A[sub]2[/sub], A[sub]3[/sub], and Y? 
I know they are subsets but how?
I have been tring to figure this out for 3days and I just want to get it.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is something missing in your problem statement. What are A and B?

It says A & B = anyone of the 16 subsets.

Is that any help?

If A and B are each anyone of subsets, then AUY=BUY would not be true in many cases. For example A={a} and B={b}. The part called code, A1 etc., seems unrelated to the question before.

1. What are sets in relation to X, Y, C, and P(x)?

Sets are collections of elements, which can include numbers, objects, or any other type of item. In this context, X, Y, C, and P(x) are all sets that have some relationship with each other.

2. How are X, Y, C, and P(x) related to each other?

X and Y can be subsets of C, or they can be disjoint sets (meaning they have no elements in common). P(x) is a power set, which is a set of all possible subsets of a given set. So, P(x) can contain X, Y, and C as subsets.

3. What is the difference between sets and relations?

Sets refer to collections of elements, while relations refer to connections or links between elements in different sets. In this context, the relations involve the elements in X, Y, C and P(x) and how they are related to each other.

4. How can understanding the relations of X, Y, C, and P(x) be useful?

Understanding these relations can be useful in solving mathematical problems and in studying abstract concepts in mathematics. It can also help in organizing and categorizing data, and in making predictions or analyzing patterns.

5. Can you give an example of how X, Y, C, and P(x) can be used in real-life situations?

One example could be in analyzing the relationship between different demographic groups (X, Y) and their purchasing habits (C) in a certain region. P(x) could then be used to identify potential subsets of these groups for targeted marketing strategies.