What's the source of power of wizard in the Potter universe?

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member
For people whose natural or first language is English. Can you also write like Rowling? Or is there something special in her writing or is it just normal English? Is what make her bestselling author because of her writing style or her story?

About the source of wizard power in the Potter universe. In this world where ISIS abound, we really not far from savages. Having nukes is enough without having to worry about the source of wizard power. So I'm glad Rowling never mention anything or doesn't know. In the next generation where the world is more stable, perhaps such can be explored. But why don't you people ask Rowling what is the source of the wizard power so she can use her creative to concoct any explanations.. what would that be that in case she were to explain it? What is your guess? maybe element 140? lol

Anyway. You are right Harry Potter stuff is for young people. It is so fantasy and unrealistic that I sometimes get sleepy in the movies watching them.
The first reason that the Harry Potter series had been so successful is because that it had been a long series published over a decade, which enabled young readers to experience the excitement and anticipation of release- sort of analogous to the popularity of Star Trek and Star Wars with the older generations. There was also a marketing strategy that helped improve the popularity after the first years of release. I pulled it off the classroom bookshelf and fell in love with the story before it became a frenzy, I think at 10 or 11 years old. Also, she never made the story about herself, she didn't want to be a celebrity. There is a humbleness about J.K. Rowling that allowed children to trust and love her. Children know when adults want to make them happy and do respond to that. It could be considered a sentimental gift, anyone so invested in making children happy can only send the message that an adult believed in them. It's very important to remember too, that literature has almost solely been for adults throughout history. There is a social meaning in historical context with the series and the last century of child literature. Children were not treated decently (and still aren't in many parts of the world) up until this last century. Things like that can be an indication of social change, or also be a part of activism involved in bringing forward more child rights movements in regions of the world that they are considered an object for use and possession.

The second reason is that there is certainly something special in her imagination and the works required the sort of creativity that only a very gifted person could deliver. The quality of her writing in the first book could probably be considered superior against the uneducated population, but her writing skills improved so much throughout the years of writing the series that near the end she could be considered superior against all other writers. The evolution of her writing quality can easily be seen. Her imagination and creativity remained just as special as before; however, her writing ability had only been a tool she used to express those qualities. She wanted to tell a story that she was visualizing throughout the series. She was able to create a world that seemed genuine with rich imagery and that children could relate with. She knew what children needed and would love because she didn't stop wondering about the world herself. The story is overall fun, quirky, humorous, emotional, and filling for a child to read. All of the common story elements and universal themes are present, but she took it further and added many more relational elements that enhanced the emotional quality in a way that nothing has ever been done before in child literature.

My 4-year old and I watched The Prisoner of Azkaban a week or so ago. Bonding moment! I was delighted that she had been interested. I do agree that it is mainly for young people. But, I will probably pull out the series every few years anyway... There hasn't been much fiction that I can tolerate since then.

In the 7 volumes of the Harry Potter books. Aren't there any instances of the wizards being subjected to initiations where their bodies were exposed to some form of energy? Rowling constant scene of energies coming from and going to and from other objects is what makes the series so visually desirable and interesting because it appeals to children's eyes (in screen or imagination).

In almost all secret societies. Becoming a wizard or initiate involved subjecting their bodies to some kind of energy.. there is this Rod of Initiation which is made to contact with the neophyte recharging the body and they completing the initiation (or at least one of series of). This will them give them some kind of powers.

Now I don't trust any sources anymore. If all the details mentioned in the secret societies were just taken from some myths and lied to the gullible members. Maybe Rowling has same access to such myths and therefore the bodies being subjected to some forces which made them wizards or initiates is hidden somewhere in the 7 volumes? I haven't read any of the books.. so if you come across them, do share it.. because I want to tract their common source or the myths where they came from.

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
If you're going to read the books start with philosophers stone, jumping in part way will not only be confusing but undercut some of the character and relationship development.

As for why it's so popular it's hard to say. Could be that it's quaintly British, or that the themes are approximate for all ages, or it might just be that people love the idea of magic.

Whichever one the books certainly don't bother explaining how magic works. It just does, and seemingly can do anything if you know how.

We have X-men genres for the adult audience that is based more on technology that kids don't understand and I guess that is why kids love Harry Potter more. Notice the Potter wizards abilities are simply one aspect of X-men powers especially control of the elementals like Storm controlling the weather. Only in the Potter universe, there is an additional force that they can control that can interact with matter at the molecular, subatomic and quarks levels. It's very generic power only that is unlike in the Marvel Universe.

Do kids really understand all of Harry Potter. For X-men, surely kids can't understand what the latest movie X-men Apocalypse is all about for example when the super villain Apocalypse said "I’ve been called many things over many lifetimes: Ra, Krishna, Yahweh. I was there to spark and fan the flame of man’s awakening, to spin the wheel of civilization.” Many 6 years old sure won't understand what the sentence even says.

Pondering on this.

In the Potter universe, a man can be turned into a bird or cat.. this has no correlate even in X-men and there is none even in the esoteric fields. Therefore there is only one possible explanation how this occurred in the Potter universe. The wizard has accessed to the program of reality and they can change it as they see fit while interacting in a Matrix like interactive universe. The source of the wizard power is simply backdoor to the program of Matrix like reality.

This is what I concluded as far as I am concerned. Feel free to theorize your own that can explain how a big man can turn into a small bird.. lol

I don't have time to read any of the 7 volumes. If I have time. I'll just read Hawking's or Michio latest book. But Rowling net worth of 1 Billion dollars is just amazing isn't it. Many physicists dream of winning Nobel Prizes worth 1.3 million. Rowling 1000 million/1.3 is worth about 769 Nobel Prizes.. so I think she beats even Einstein in money cleverness. I wonder if there is additional movie after the 7 parts...

In the 7 volumes of the Harry Potter books. Aren't there any instances of the wizards being subjected to initiations where their bodies were exposed to some form of energy? Rowling constant scene of energies coming from and going to and from other objects is what makes the series so visually desirable and interesting because it appeals to children's eyes (in screen or imagination).
Do you mean so they can become wizards? No, that seems to be their nature at birth. They gain skills as they mature but that's more a matter of controlling the power rather than acquiring it. I suspect that one of the "tip offs" that a child in the muggle world is a wizard is that magic is being done in unexpected places. When they first meet Hagrid asks Harry if he's ever done anything odd or special, like making a plate of glass disappear and then reappear.

Do you mean so they can become wizards? No, that seems to be their nature at birth. They gain skills as they mature but that's more a matter of controlling the power rather than acquiring it. I suspect that one of the "tip offs" that a child in the muggle world is a wizard is that magic is being done in unexpected places. When they first meet Hagrid asks Harry if he's ever done anything odd or special, like making a plate of glass disappear and then reappear.
One of the things I don't believe in and don't understand is how bloodlines is being related to powers (But someone has a theory worth hearing).
Well.. we can't blame the kids for being interested.. at least they knew it was fiction. But for adults, many couldn't even differentiate between fact and fiction. For example. David Icke believed in such special bloodlines and he duped so many adults. It looked like some adults are like children :) David mentioned bloodlines was important because "wizards" have genetics that can make them be possessed easier by other entities. So in Potter universe, the wizards source of power could be possession by off world entities (In Potter stories, many entities abound). Anyway this quote from David is just for context (I have zero background in it). David said: "Once activated, the DNA opens the body to possession by these reptilians and other beings, and this is what is happening, for example, to Freemasons in the rituals that most of them deliver parrot fashion while having no idea of their vibrational significance. This is why the Illuminati are so obsessed with knowing a person's bloodline. They know which have the potential for this activation and possession and which do not. The Mormon Church genealogical data base and now the DNA data banks are designed to identify those with the bloodline. These are the people who are given jobs and roles that serve the Illuminati agenda, while most of them have no idea what is really going on and what they are being used for. Their DNA is then activated and they go through a change of character (a phrase I have heard so many times in relation to such people once they advance in the system) and a very different consciousness takes over their mental and emotional processes." (Moderators, again I mentioned this just to share the idea the source of power of the wizards in the Potter Universe could be possessions by other entities.. good or bad.. if you can't take this, just delete this message and not lock the thread as some feared would happen if I kept posting, and I won't post again here as I really don't have much interest in it and I'm not the OP of this thread, thank you).

"So in Potter universe, the wizards source of power could be possession by off world entities "

Not even the slightest clue of this in the books.

"So in Potter universe, the wizards source of power could be possession by off world entities "

Not even the slightest clue of this in the books.
Just out of curiousity. I entered the words "David Icke" and "Harry Potter" at google to see if there are any discussions and dozens of hits came up. The following is a sample of the discussions (just google it as non-pear reviewed links are banned in this thread so couldn't share the link):

"supertzar: To me, it seems clear that Harry represents the hybrid Illuminati. Voldemort is the purebred reptilians. Hybrids positioning themselves as the heroes of mankind, fighting the evil reptilians.
mariag: I totaly agree , i have seen the latest of the HP films with me daughter and im fully convinced , boy its so obvious really , with the owls , and the blond haired blue eyed demons and the talk about half blood and full blood and all that , so yes i do think this is "___"
By the way , this whole HP buisness is really hypnotizing not only our kids , but a lot of grown ups are really in to this , "satanism" bloodline movie ... Horryfing it is"

More thoughts in the link.

Sorry I just can't resist. I'll stop now. I know this is getting beyond the topic of this thread i'm sorry so I'll leave at it and let others carry on the discussions of the source of the wizards powers in the potter universe (counterpart of the marvel universe? hmm..).

Sorry I just can't resist. I'll stop now. I know this is getting beyond the topic of this thread i'm sorry so I'll leave at it and let others carry on the discussions of the source of the wizards powers in the potter universe (counterpart of the marvel universe? hmm..).
Thanks for your consideration of this thread's longevity, perhaps you could start a new thread discussing possible and fictional metaphors between the real world and works of fiction. Be it various different fictional pieces being discussed in the same thread or Harry Potter specifically. Just keep in mind that pointing the finger at religion (such as your earlier mention of Mormons) might upset some PF members. And perhaps treat your 'Illuminati' conspiracies as fiction on the PF lest your thread be closed. Good luck! :)

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Wizards/witches have an intuitive grasp and partial control of the great simulation algorithm that we all live in. It is sort of like the Matrix movies. At a muggle level, an example would be how Kirk as a cadet in the Academy hijacks (although his superior's preferred word is "cheat") Spock's simulation algorithm and "wins" the game in Star Trek (2009). [None of this is in the books.]

As well: practice3.

Last edited: