What's the sp orbital of this carbon?

In summary, the conversation is about the structure of a molecule shown in a picture and the question of whether it is sp2 or sp3. The person asking the question is not sure and asks for clarification. The other person explains that the negative charge represents a nucleophile and that counting domains can help determine the structure. The conversation then shifts to discussing the concept of domains and how they relate to the atom's bonding. The conclusion is that the carbon in the molecule is sp2.
HeartSoul132
The on on the left w/ the red arrow pointing to it:
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5062/92513846.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
No red arrow on the picture.

And honestly - question doesn't make any sense to me.

What are yellow trousers?

Could be image will explain what you mean.

Meant to upload this one, sorry. is it sp2? sp3?...
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5062/92513846.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if that's possible. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :tongue:) Where did you get it from?

It is possible, it's from my book. Since it has a double bond, it's sp2 i think? I just don't know if the - formal charge affects that.

Okay then, do you know what the negative charge represents? If you know what represents it can help answer your question by counting the domains. Do you remember how to count domains?

Never learned that

General chemistry covers domains.

sp (2 Domains)
sp2 (3 Domains)
sp3 (4 Domains)

Nucleophile is represented by a negative charge. Negative charges represents a loan pair. A domain is a representation of occupied space around an atom.

Domains = things the atom is bonded to

where "things" are: single pairs, lone pairs, double bonds

Is that what you meant? So the carbon is sp2 right?

1. What is the definition of a sp orbital?

A sp orbital is a hybrid orbital formed by the combination of one s orbital and one p orbital. It has a linear shape and is used to describe the bonding in molecules with a triple bond or two double bonds.

2. How many electrons can occupy a sp orbital?

A sp orbital can hold a maximum of two electrons.

3. What is the difference between an sp orbital and an sp2 orbital?

An sp orbital has 50% s character and 50% p character, while an sp2 orbital has 33% s character and 67% p character. This means that an sp orbital is more s-like in shape and an sp2 orbital is more p-like.

4. How is the energy of an sp orbital compared to that of an s or p orbital?

The energy of an sp orbital is intermediate between that of an s orbital and a p orbital. It is closer in energy to the p orbital, but slightly higher due to the influence of the s orbital.

5. How does the hybridization of carbon affect its reactivity?

The hybridization of carbon affects its reactivity by changing the shape and energy of its orbitals, which in turn influences the types of bonds it can form and the stability of those bonds. For example, sp hybridized carbon is more reactive than sp3 hybridized carbon due to its linear shape and higher energy orbitals.