What's the volume of an electron?

In summary, the concept of volume does not apply to individual electrons due to the uncertainty principle. It is impossible to determine the exact position and volume of an electron due to its small size and the uncertainty principle. However, there have been attempts to determine the volume of an electron by assuming it is a sphere, with estimated values between 1 x 10-19m and 1 x 10-22m. The shape and volume of an electron are still uncertain due to its quantum dimensions.
Element
What's the volume of an electron?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suspect that the concept of "volume" wouldn't apply to something so small that the uncertainty principle comes into play.

Do you have some suggestion as to what "shape" an electron is?

how does the uncertainty principle affect volume?

The uncertainty principal says that the "error in position" times the error in "error in speed" equals Plank's constant/mass (I think that's right- anyway, inversely proportional to mass) so for something as light as an electron, it is impossible to determine, exactly, or even very accurately, the position and, so, the volume of an electron.

Having said that, I immediately "googled" on "volume of electron" and got all sorts of things about "volume of electron beam", "volume of electron density", etc. that aren't about individual electrons.

When I "googled" on "radius of electron", I found this interesting bit: "In the 1980's, new techniques were developed to confine electrons in magnetic traps, it being possible to confine single electrons for lengthy periods. In the 1990's, the new technology enabled Nobel Prize winner, Hans Dehmelt, to set limits for the electron radius as being between 1 x 10-19m and 1 x 10-22m."

If you ASSUME that the electron is a sphere, then you can calculate it's volume from that. Again, it's not clear to me how one would determine (or even define!) the "shape" of something of quantum dimensions.

What is the volume of an electron?

The volume of an electron is incredibly small and difficult to measure. It is estimated to be on the order of 10^-37 cubic centimeters.

Can the volume of an electron be measured?

No, the volume of an electron cannot be directly measured due to its extremely small size. Scientists use mathematical models and equations to estimate its volume.

Does the volume of an electron change?

The volume of an electron is considered to be a constant value. However, in certain extreme conditions, such as in a strong magnetic field, it may appear to have a slightly different volume due to quantum effects.

How does the volume of an electron compare to other particles?

The volume of an electron is significantly smaller than other subatomic particles, such as protons and neutrons. It is also much smaller than the atoms that make up everyday matter.

Is the volume of an electron important in scientific research?

The volume of an electron is a key factor in understanding the behavior and properties of matter at a microscopic level. It is also important in fields such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.