What is a multi selection panel and how is it used in GUI design?

• Thread starter MartinJH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, The conversation discusses the development of an application that allows users to select and enable certain 'things'. The speaker had a coded solution but discovered a new one, and is wondering if there is a control in C# that can move items from one list to another. The expert explains that this can be done through system calls and suggests using a single ListView with checkboxes or a multi selection panel. These options are discussed in detail and potential advantages are mentioned.
MartinJH
Hi,
I'm developing an application and I allow a user to select 'things' they want enabled and others they do not. I had a solution coded but discovered a new solution. While I can 'hard' code this new solution, featured below, I was wondering if C# (the language I'm using) has the following control available;
(essentially moving one 'thing' from the left hand column to the right with provided buttons)
Capture.png

Indeed, failing that, and the purpose of this question, does this method of allowing a user to select certain 'thing' from a list have a name?
(please ignore the title of the window and other text, this is just an image I found to help explain my question)

Many thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
As far as I know, the language used is irrelevant. The controls come from system calls that can be made from any language. There is no control that inherently moves an item from one list box (or text box if that's what you have) to another. You have to code that, but it's awfully simple.

Since you are using the C# language, you must be using C#.NET as your IDE, in which case the selection of an item is called "item select". There are numerous system calls associated with items, such as adding an item, geting the index of a selected item, getting a selected item, setting the selection index in an item list, etc.

If you are looking for a more compact design of allowing a user to view and make "persistent" selections in a list, then you may consider using only a single ListView and then associate a checkbox with each item in the list. I believe that should be possible in Windows Forms by using the ListView.CheckBoxes property [1] and in WPF by using a template with a checkbox [2] or similar.

If the selection is very short term (e.g. the selection is cleared each time the user is presented with the dialog) then Forms ListView.MultiSelect [3] or WPF ListView.SelectionMode [4] may be suitable instead, but since multiselection is not indicated the capability may easily remain undiscovered by the user.

[1] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.listview.checkboxes(v=vs.110).aspx
[2] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms754143(v=vs.110).aspx
[3] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.listview.multiselect(v=vs.110).aspx
[4] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...controls.listbox.selectionmode(v=vs.110).aspx

Likes Pepper Mint

1. What is the purpose of this control?

The purpose of this control is to allow the user to manipulate or adjust a specific function or feature within a system or device.

2. How do I use this control?

To use this control, simply click, drag, or interact with it according to the instructions provided by the system or device.

3. What does this control do?

This control performs a specific action or function within the system or device, such as adjusting volume, changing settings, or initiating a process.

4. Where can I find this control?

This control can usually be found on the main screen or interface of the system or device, or within a specific menu or section designated for its function.

5. Can I customize this control?

The ability to customize this control may vary depending on the system or device, but in most cases, there are options to adjust its appearance or functionality to suit personal preferences.