Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats this gradient thing

1. May 14, 2005 #1
    how do u find the gradient of y-3x=2 :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2005 #2
    in terms of calculus, the gradient is defined to be a vector field, that is, given a function it will assign a vector to each point of the function. the components of each vector tell how much the function is changing in that direction.

[tex]grad(f) = \frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}}i + \frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}}j[/tex]

is the vector field. so in your example:

[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}} = -3[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}} = 1[/tex]

so:

[tex]grad(y-3x-2) = -3i + j[/tex]

notice that the component of the gradient of your function are constant...thats because your function just a line. if your function were something more complicated, then your components would be functions and your would evaluate them at a particular point because your gradient would then vary as a true vector field.

4. May 14, 2005 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i am puzzled. you have not said what the function is, so i do not know what the rgadient is.

if the function is f(x,y) = y-3x = -3x+y, then the gradient is the same everywhere, namely (-3,1).

same if the function is f(x,y) = -3x+y-2 as has been assumed above, but this is not clear from your question. an equation is not a function, unless meant sas the graph of the function, in which case you would be giving the function y = 2-3x whose "gradient is -3.

5. May 14, 2005 #4
    I think he just wanted the gradient of a straight line..

6. May 14, 2005 #5
    The gradient vector isnt perpendicular to the slope?

7. May 14, 2005 #6
    No, for a linear function the gradient is the slope (in "British-speaking" places).

Last edited: May 14, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?