Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's up wioth wrinkles

1. Nothing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Something

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    Sorry for the subject typo.

I noticed an interesting thing while looking at my never-folded clothes (and forgive me if this has already been addressed). Seems like we only describe something as wrinkly when the number and spacing of the wrinkles is in some middle range. If you had no wrinkles it would look smooth of course. But it seems to me that if you had thousands or millions of wrinkles, the fabric would look smooth from a distance too. Because of the extremely short distance between wrinkles, they would seem to merge if seen from a distance. Seems like you only notice the wrinkles if there is an intermediate number or size. Is there any connection to cosmology here?

Could it be that the smooth-appearing spacetime is really extremely wrinkled to the point that it looks smooth? Could particles be spacetime that is only moderately wrinkled, or non-wrinkled? What would even hold spacetime in a wrinkled state? Wouldn't it try to relax?

Another thing just occurred to me. Light has frequency and amplitude like wrinkles do. What if the wavelength of light is related to wrinkles as well? Isn't it true that if you shorten the wavelength of light enough it would form particles from the energy required? Isn't it true you'd only notice the light in the middle ranges? Too low and you can't detect it, too high and it forms particles (like the tips of the wrinkles).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted