What's up with that dopey chat room?

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chat
In summary, the chat room is broken and pops up every time someone logs on. The chat window appears, but users can't post. There is also garbage at the bottom of the screen. However, in Firefox 1.2.1, users can see what others post, and there is a "return to the forums" button. On my laptop, in MozillaFirebird, all I get is a white page of html code. In Internet Explorer 6.0, the chat works, but the bottom 1/3 of the screen is filled with garbage. Apparently, it is a problem with MozillaFirebird or MicrosoftIE6.0 on Linux. Java must be enabled for the chat to work.
gnome
What's up with that dopey chat room? It pops up every time I log on today, but it's broken.

In Mozilla 1.2.1 the chat window appears & I can see what others post, but it won't take my posts. And, there's a bunch of garbage (I guess some html code) scattered at the bottom of the screen.
But at least with that one I can click on "return to the forums" and get here.

On my laptop, in MozillaFirebird, all I get when I log on is a white page of html code, and I can't get into the forums at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yea the same thing happened to me, must be a problem somewhere, but the chatroom itself worked fine, i just didnt want to be there.

You need to have Java enabled (says the computer illiterate, lol)

You can browse the forums and chat at the same time:
*open two browser windows
*in one click at the lower left button "return to the forums"
*in the other click "join chat"

and you are all set to go! Just avoid pressing the main logo, as that will ruin the setup..

I have had Java enabled in both of these browsers already. Doesn't work.

What browser are you using, Monique?

Internet Explorer 6.0

Thought so.

So the chat is only for Microsoft lovers?

Yea its 6 for me aswell.

Hey yeah i get that dumb PF chat thing..there is only like one other person on there...prob havin a monologue lol I have I.E. 6.0 too but i didnt understand what u were talking about (i have a short attention span) All i do is go to the bottom of the chat box and click on return to Forum...

I got it to work with mozilla just fine. It must be the linux that's make it work.

EVIL MSFT!

I don't know. Someone must be screwing around with the board software because I haven't changed anything on my browser (MozillaFirebird). The browser is working fine everyplace else. I just tried to log onto a Yahoo chat & it works fine there.

Here, it seemed to be working perfectly for a little while (about 3 hours ago). After I logged in, it put me into the chat, which looked like it was working OK.
But now its messed up again. When I log on, it asks me to log in, & as soon as I do it gives me a completely non-functioning white page filled with code.

The only way I can get in here now is to fill in the url of a specific forum from my history file, & then log in when I want to post.

I get the same with Moz Firebird. I see a bunch of code, and can get the chat page itself to load only by refreshing a few times. I don't have Java enabled so I don't know if chat would work. The Return link takes me back here. [b(]

Must be a non-MS thing. Even the output on the forums doesn't look very nice in Mozilla -- bad table widths, backgrounds.

Nah. They must be working on that chat applet. I have java enabled in my Firebird & it's acting the same as yours. It was working for a little while, a few hours ago.

Now I'm logged on with MSIE 6.0 on my other machine, & even with this one, when I first login, I get the chatroom, & it seems to work, but if I scroll down, the bottom 1/3 of the screen is full of garbage.

Anyway, you can fix your firebird login temporarily at least, by changing the location in your bookmark to:

That's the address that the chatroom "return to forum" button is using. I just tried it with Firebird on my laptop & it works ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by dduardo

EVIL MSFT!

the chat works fine with Opera too...

1. What is the purpose of the chat room?

The chat room serves as a platform for individuals to communicate and exchange ideas in real-time. It can be used for socializing, professional networking, or discussing specific topics.

2. Is the chat room moderated?

Yes, the chat room is moderated to ensure that users abide by the terms of use and maintain a respectful and appropriate environment for everyone.

3. How many people can participate in the chat room at once?

The number of participants in the chat room can vary and is not limited. However, it is recommended to have a manageable number of users to facilitate a smooth and effective conversation.

4. Can I access the chat room from any device?

Yes, as long as you have an internet connection and a compatible device, you can access the chat room from anywhere.

5. Are there any restrictions on the topics discussed in the chat room?

The chat room does not have any specific restrictions on topics. However, users are expected to follow the terms of use and avoid discussing inappropriate or offensive subjects.