Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's up with this Che Guevara - ah, stuff?

1. Dec 16, 2004 #1
    Anyone know what's the recent fascination with wearing Che Guevara's
    image on hats and tee shirts? Is it political? What am I missing here? I've witnessed Mr. Guevara’s likeness a number of times while Christmas shopping. Do the people who wear this stuff have any idea who Guevara really is - or care? Guevara was little more than 'Stalin-lite.' It makes about as much sense to proudly wear Stalin or Hitler's image on a shirt. Now I hear about Hollywood's recent movie produced by Robert Redford that, as I understand, glamorizes this SOB. If true, that's just sort'a creepy. Is the wild-eyed far left really beginning to lose their sense of humanity - or are these just apolitical members of the slack-jawed and brain dead?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2004 #2
    It is been around for a while. I also do not understand what is the fascination. I think it's a rebel-image-thing. I understand he's like a mix between James Dean and Mandela for South Americans, and he helped put Castro in place. I was introduced to him by an anti-American from Syria.

4. Dec 16, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

To me its always been (I'm 29) a good way to identify militant hippies.

5. Dec 16, 2004 #4
    I've seen them before, and they're usually only worn by idiotic fashion people (ie. I believe I saw Christina Aguilera wearing one once). I doubt any of the people who buy Che shirts really know anything about him, his beliefs, or his actions.

The whole premise of shirts with Che on them always seemed hilarious to me, using a Communist to market a product that was likely made by child labor in some third world country (probabally China, which just adds a whole other level of ironic humor).

6. Dec 16, 2004 #5

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never understood how people supposedly for world peace etc. walk around in Che - shirts ... the guy surely does not qualify as a poster boy.

7. Dec 16, 2004 #6
    I guess if your face has the right qualities, you can be a poster boy for anything.

8. Dec 16, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been totally unaware of this fashion fascination. But then, I live in the boondocks.

So which clothing company makes Che Guevara Tees ?

9. Dec 16, 2004 #8
    Well, if you search "Che Guevara t shirts" on google, you get a paid ad for "www.thechestore.com", which touts itself as being "The largest collection of Che Guevara Merchandise anywhere on the WWW" :rofl: :biggrin:

Do the people selling this "merchandise" not realize just how DRIPPING in irony their whole buisness is?

But hell, you don't need to go to speciality sites for PRODUCTS featuring the likeness of a COMMUNIST REVOLUTIONARY WHO HATED THE GLOBAL CAPITALISM THAT PRODUCES THESE PRODUCTS, you can just go to Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.htm...dex=apparel&node=1036682&keywords=che guevara

:biggrin: :rofl: GOD THE IRONY

10. Dec 16, 2004 #9
    Perhaps it's the irony itself that causes the attraction to the products.

11. Dec 17, 2004 #10
    the only thing more disgusting than this is "the motorcycle diaries" movie coming out.
    Give me a break! Perhaps we can next idolize Jerry Farwell to work on the other end of the spectrum!

12. Dec 17, 2004 #11

Tsu

Gold Member

Who's Jerry Farwell?

13. Dec 17, 2004 #12
    That's Reverend Jerry Falwell to you.
    http://www.falwell.com/?a=

He's the most prominant Christian nutjob around currently, on his site he has things like a little logo saying "I vote Christian". I'm sure if you do some googling you'll get more than your share of his right-wing christian nuttyness.

14. Dec 17, 2004 #13
    I don't think Jerry Falwell would work, he couldn't pull off a powerful look like Che has on most of those shirts. I think you'll need someone who's more photogenic, someone like TED JESUS CHRIST!

Though sadly, while he's not on T-shirts, Jerry Falwell seems to have lots of followers, like those 20% of voters who voted on hate-based religious messages.

15. Dec 17, 2004 #14

Illegitimate unknown brother of Falwell.... :redface: :wink:

16. Dec 17, 2004 #15
    How about david koresh then...he's militant, ugly, and has long hair...just like che!!

[​IMG]

17. Dec 17, 2004 #16
    What I don't get is the Confederate flags everywhere. Most of these fools don't even know what the Confederation of America was (it's not taught in our schools)

18. Dec 17, 2004 #17

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, goes very much in the same box, actually weirder than Che.

19. Dec 17, 2004 #18

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Having lived in Mississippi for two years, I strongly disagree. Confederate flags are everywhere and southerners know exactly what they mean.

Or do you mean you see them in another context?

20. Dec 17, 2004 #19
    In mississippi perhapse, but in western Canada only history buffs (i.e. me) know what they stand for. Yet we see them everywhere and when I ask "Why do you have a confederate flag on your car" they say "What's a Confederate flag?" Conformity is so abundant it's disgusting.

21. Dec 17, 2004 #20

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mind educating us on the insights of the people in Mississippi ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?