Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's V-representable

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    what's "V-representable"

Just encountered this word, not sure what it means. I tried google and wiki, but didn't find any introductory articles, only some professional articles which mentioned this word.
    Can someone introduce a bit?
    P.S. I'm not even sure where to post question, for I haven't figured out whether it's more mathematical or physical, so I put it here, randomly.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2
    Re: what's "V-representable"

Perhaps some context would be useful...

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As rochfor1 says, we really need to know the context.

Until then I would guess that you are saying that group G has a representation as a group of linear transformations from vector space V to itself.

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4

I think V refers to potential, I only found a definition(sort of, not quite formal) from an abstract of a article:
    http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v47/i1/p153_1
    "A particle-density distribution is said to be v-representable if it is the ground-state density for some potential v(r)"
    And I don't understand it.

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then this has nothing to do with "Linear and Abstract Algebra"! In fact, it sounds like it is physics rather than mathematics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook