Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's with Bobby Fischer?

1. Jul 17, 2004 #1

Gold Member

What's with Bobby Fischer??

A world champion chess player praises 911. I guess the US really ticked him off!! :rolleyes:

I also have to wonder just what his mother did to make him hate Jews! :surprise: :rolleyes:

for entire article
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe his mother beat him in a game of chess?
  4. Jul 17, 2004 #3
    I don't think that he's mentally sane now. Too many chess perhaps :(
  5. Jul 17, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recall reading several years back that BF had been living incognito in California, under an assumed name, and was under the paranoid delusion that the "commies were after him" !
  6. Jul 17, 2004 #5

Staff: Mentor

He does seem a bit unhinged.
  7. Jul 17, 2004 #6
    Another person that would have been better off taking up billiards as a kid.
  8. Jul 17, 2004 #7
    Bobby Fischer never was quite sane, escpecialy in social situations. I think it was during the world championship match against Spassky in Reykjavik, when he happened to meet Spassky in the hotel elevator. He immideately changed to another hotel so he would avoid "such incidences" in the future :uhh:
    He was a good chess player though. When I was representing Norway in a youth tournament in Reykjavik around New Year, I got to sit in Fischer's and Spassky's chairs in a museum, thanks to the nice people at the Icelandic Chess Federation :smile:
  9. Jul 17, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus

I think the U.S. should force a match between Bobby Fischer and Fritz.
  10. Jul 18, 2004 #9
    freakingly enough, chess doesn't have anything to do with intelligence... one of my friends have been junior champion and he's really not very bright... i can kick his ass in everything but chess basically...
    untill i met him, it had always bothered me, that i wasn't very good at chess... :biggrin:

bobby fisher has been ****ed up for decades, but it seems he's really losing it now...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?