Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's with the ads ?

1. Feb 8, 2005 #1

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you guys noticed the ads that pop up in between the posts in a thread...??

What's with them...?

Daniel.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2005 #2
    What is there to know? They are what they are :smile:

4. Feb 8, 2005 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Since I don't see any "ads" imbedded in any threads, I'm assuming that PF contributors are sparred from such torture? :)

Zz.

5. Feb 8, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are correct, sir.

6. Feb 8, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, that sounds really annoying. Glad I don't have to put up with those. Hopefully they are small and not animated, or else that would seem to be too distracting and somewhat discouraging from reading through a thread. I realize the whole point of ads is to distract you enough to click on them, but I wouldn't want it to be to the detriment of retaining membership around here.

7. Feb 8, 2005 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear,

I agree entirely. I'm hereby publicly announcing that, if the ads are not removed, I will be leaving the site.

- Warren

8. Feb 8, 2005 #7
    Moonbear, the line of ads is only after the first post of a thread, and they are of the same format as the google ads below the navbar. My goal was to increase the number of contributers. I'm merely just testing and if people want to overreact then that is their business. I could have possibly given notice before I added them so people wouldn't be shocked, so if anything I am guilty of that. I am open to hear opinions on the matter, I never said they were set in stone.

9. Feb 8, 2005 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, just one line? That doesn't sound too bad. Have you considered sticking a link right next to the ads that says something like, "Want to get rid of these annoying ads? Become a contributor." :biggrin: I never found the ads at the top particularly bothersome. While having an ad-free site is a nice perk to being a contributor, it wasn't my primary motivation (in other words, if that's all it got me, I'd have stuck with the ads). I just think this is a good site and don't want to see it go away for lack of funding. :smile:

Anyway, I wasn't criticizing, I didn't even look at what the ads look like, just saw Dex's reaction and your reply, and what I pictured when I read that was something different (like an ad bar popping up between every reply :eek:).

Do you and Chroot have to look at the ads so you know what they contain, or do you turn them off for yourselves too?

*bows down and kisses Greg's feet* My humblest thanks for keeping this place running and sincerest apologies if my comments came across as criticism. :rolleyes: :tongue2: (Note to self: wash Greg's feet for him before kissing them next time. :yuck: :rofl:)

10. Feb 8, 2005 #9
    A link is available above the links, the purpose in mind for the ads is to help increase contributers, that is my focus.

Ads are turned off for contributers and staff. But if you log yourself off and browse as a guest you can see the ads.

I didn't take anything you said negatively, I encourage discussion on all facets of the site and always have. Everyone here has great impact on the site, no one person is responsible for it's success, we all have a role.

11. Feb 8, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, just making sure. I've got a lot on my plate right now (which is of course why I'm at PF procrastinating rather than figuring out which mound of work to dig into first), and I tend to take things a little too seriously than they are intended when I'm stressed, but always better to check than to risk having offended someone and not correcting it. :smile:

12. Feb 8, 2005 #11
    You know, you could put the ads after every single post. :tongue2:

I'm sure that will go well *hides from the impending volley of tomatoes*.

13. Feb 8, 2005 #12
    haha, I'm not that cruel. What about placing them after the 2nd or 3rd post, would that be better for everyone?

14. Feb 8, 2005 #13
    *snickers even further*... what about randomly in between forums, subforums, and threads. :tongue2: :tongue2: :rofl:. Or how about having a forum/subforum/thread link randomly go into an ad :devil: :devil:.

Nothing like being evil :devil:. *suits up in armor to avoid the tomato barrage, prepares to blast into space*.

15. Feb 8, 2005 #14

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Greg, quite honestly, I don't think you have to give notice about ads. You are the one responsible for this site ultimately. There will always be people who don't agree with your decisions, but it was your decision to start up PF and I am happy to be a part of this site.

16. Feb 8, 2005 #15
    I think a whole page of ads after every post would be fun to try for a little while. :p. Oh, make sure they FLASH a lot! And have audio!!!

17. Feb 8, 2005 #16
    Motai you are hilarious.

The ads don't bother me too much, although they would bother me even less if they were somewhere other than in the middle of threads.

18. Feb 8, 2005 #17

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wish...

I wish Warren didn't mean what he said. :uhh: Honestly.The ads are still there after all...

I wish Greg had told Warren when he inserted them and Warren didn't find out by browsing through this thread... :wink:

Daniel.

19. Feb 9, 2005 #18
    The new yellow strips that encourage becoming a contributor are much preferable. The key to ads in the middle of threads is for them to be short, vertically, so things don't get too staggered. These two-line ads are a good choice over the previous ones.

20. Feb 9, 2005 #19

honestrosewater

Gold Member

The ads don't bother me either. When I finally find a job, I'll become a contributor. Promise. :biggrin:

21. Feb 10, 2005 #20

My problem is that my bank accounts have my parents' names on them still, thus they monitor everything i do. Otherwise i would.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?