Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's with the math forums?

1. Sep 16, 2006 #1
    I'm not sure if this is on topic, but what is with the choice of subforums that make up the math section? Is it just me, or is:

General Math
    Analysis
    DiffEq
    Algebra
    DiffGeo
    Set Theory/Stats
    Number Theory

A very strange subdivision of math. For starters, DiffEq should probably be put into analysis, there should definitly be a topology section, Stats should be seperate from Set Theory and Logic, and Combinatorics should be given a section.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2006 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know, I've often wondered about the unusual division of forums here, especially set theory + prob & stat. Combinatorics might not be enough for its own section, but it could be combined with something. I agree that topology would be a good section to have.

In any case I'm just thankful for an honest-to-goodness Number Theory forum. :cool:

4. Sep 16, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you'll find that it is the 'linear and abstract algebra' not 'algebra' subforum. I would guess the choices were made based upon the division of courses as a generic american engineering/physics undergraduate would view them. This would account for the odd choice of 'linear and abstract algebra' being singled out from all of algebra. Anyway, there is no possibility of making all the people happy all the time on this issue.

If you think these are odd, you should look at scienceforums.net.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  5. Sep 16, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think we've discussed the organization of the math forums in quite some time. It does sound like they are organized around common courses in math curricula, but since we have expanded the HW forums (last year) and all the HW questions should go there, not in the main math forums, this organization may be outdated.

Keep in mind that there are sometimes also practical considerations, such as the popularity of a topic, for whether it gets its own forum or gets lumped together with other topics.

These are the full titles of the subforums in math:

General Math
    Calculus & Analysis
    Differential Equations
    Linear & Abstract Algebra
    Tensor Analysis & Differential Geometry
    Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
    Number Theory

DeadWolfe, how many combinatorics threads are there currently to warrant giving it its own section?

Keep in mind that we also from time to time collapse forums together as well. If there just aren't enough posts under a topic to warrant keeping it as its own subforum, it'll get combined with something else.

So, with those criteria, that there needs to be enough sustained interest in a topic to maintain it as an active subforum, and topics that are somewhat related can be combined in order to create an active subforum where each individual one would not be active enough, AND, most importantly, that we try to keep the number of forums and subforums here a low as reasonably possible to avoid being too overwhelmingly cluttered or so narrow in focus for each subforum that discussion is hindered, would you still recommend changing the topics?

If so, please, offer your suggestions of what you would include as subforums and provide some support for that organization (i.e., relatedness of topics, activity of threads on those topics, etc.)

Also, remember that "General" in our topic headings is NOT the same as it is for courses...it doesn't mean "introductory level" but more "miscellaneous," so anything that isn't active enough to fit under a more specific subforum can and should be posted under the "general" forums.

6. Sep 16, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, Combinatorics may be said to be a hand-maiden of Probability who actually have a life on her own as well.
    So I agree with DeadWolfe it should have its own forum; perhaps a reorganization of the last to forums might be:
    Set theory, Logic&Number theory
    Combinatorics, Probability, Statistics.
    Just a suggestion from my part.

(Not altogether happy, though, to dissociate the Prob&Stats from the set theory forum)

Alternatively, a Discrete Maths forum ought to be considered opened.

7. Sep 16, 2006 #6

StatusX

Homework Helper

The tensor analysis/differential geomety section seems to be the least popular. Maybe this could be expanded into a more general geometry/topology section, especially since there is no obvious place to post topology questions now. Just an idea.

8. Sep 16, 2006 #7

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probability is Combinatorics divided by n.

Is it not a nightmare to try to reorganize the subforums? I mean would you have to move all the probability posts if it split from Set Theory, Logic/etc.?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  9. Sep 16, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

:rofl:
    Agreed.
    Possibly, but there are "only" 893 threads in the Set Theory section.
    Alternatively, old Probs may be kept in the archive of the new Set section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?