Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats wrong here?

1. May 12, 2006 #1
    when we are dealing with matter could it not be postulated that
    it is indeed the transfer of quarks that are causing the formation
    of antiparticles (and the conversion of protons to neutrons) within the nucleus?
    When dealing with neutrinos and anti neutrionos what, apart from the
    need to balance the formula really seperates the two?
    it is not theorised that photons are their own antiparticles?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2006 #2
    :confused:
    The formation of anti-particles within the nucleus? Could you explain what you mean by this? Do you mean the positron emmision from the [itex] \beta^+ [/itex] decay?
    [itex] \beta^+ [/itex] decay in the nucleus (the process which accounts for the conversion of protons to neutrons in the nucleus- which cannot happen in free space) is mediated by the weak force.

The particle that is seen after a neutron decays to a proton that accompanies the electron is simply named the electron anti-neutrino and the particle the emission of a positron (often called [itex] \beta^+ [/itex] in nuclear physics) from a nucleus is called a electron neutrino. I don't really know if there is truly a way to tell them apart other than that. That is to say, do they interact differently (you could probably use them in some sort of scattering experiment and see how they interact).

And yes the photon is its own anti-particle.

I think you may simply be caught up in the use of the prefix "anti". The anti-particle has the same mass as its non-anti partner, it just has the opposite charge for all quanutm numbers they carry. Since the world is awash in electrons, we consider them the matter and we call the positron the anti-matter. But we could have easily decided that the electron was the antipositron. No problem there.

4. May 12, 2006 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Where are these "quarks" in leptons?

Zz.

5. May 12, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What is meant by "transfer of quarks"?

It is believed/theorized that a quark is "transformed" in positron (e+[/sub]) emission, or beta decay.

For beta decay in which a neutron transforms to a proton, electron and anti-neutrino, see http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/particles/proton.html#c3

See also - Transformation of Quark Flavors by the Weak Interaction
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/particles/qrkdec.html#c1

Feynman Diagrams for Weak Force
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/forces/funfor.html#c4

6. May 12, 2006 #5
    Sasa, if your thread is deleted, it is unwise to create the same thread under another username.

To repeat myself from last night, I think it is the interaction of quarks that is the cause of the strong nuclear force, I do not know what you mean by "transfer of quarks", either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?