WHat's wrong in my argument?

• Thread starter mansi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, the argument for proving that every punctured open set in R^2 is path connected involves taking points x and y and a point z taken off from U. If x, y, and z do not lie on a straight line, then there is a segment between x and y. If they do lie on a straight line, another point p can be chosen outside of the line, and segments can be drawn between x and p and p and y, creating a path between x and y. However, this argument is incorrect as it involves using straight lines. The challenge is to find a path that circles the puncture in a non-convex set.
mansi
I was asked to prove, every punctured open set in R^2 is path connected.

My argument : take points x and y. let z be the point we've taken off from U (open).
if x, y,z do not pass through a staright line, we have a segment between a and y.
Now if the 3, i.e. x,y,z lie on a straight line...then pick another point ,say p, not lying on the staright line.
we have segments joining x and p and p and y. hence, we've found a path between x and y ,as required.

apparently, this is wrong...my prof told me not bring in straight lines anywhere! any hints?? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What if your set is not convex?

Can you show that there's a 'path' that circles the puncture?

1. What is the first step in evaluating an argument?

The first step in evaluating an argument is to identify the claim being made and the evidence used to support it. This will help determine the validity and strength of the argument.

2. How do I know if my argument is logical?

To determine if an argument is logical, you should look for any fallacies or errors in reasoning. This could include using emotion instead of facts, making generalizations, or using circular reasoning.

3. Can I use personal opinions in my argument?

While personal opinions can be used to support an argument, they should not be the sole basis for the argument. It is important to also include objective evidence and logical reasoning to strengthen the argument.

4. How do I address counterarguments in my argument?

When addressing counterarguments, it is important to acknowledge and consider them in your argument. This can help strengthen your argument by showing that you have considered different perspectives and have evidence to support your claim.

5. What should I do if I find a flaw in my own argument?

If you find a flaw in your own argument, it is important to acknowledge and address it. This could involve revising your argument or finding additional evidence to support your claim. Ignoring a flaw can weaken your argument and make it less convincing.