Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's wrong with an introduction?

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Geez, what's up with people today? It's so rude for new people to join a lab and not be introduced, then I went to inform who the new person/student is and still: no introduction, they walk away to find a pipette. Unbelievable. Should I just block them from future communications? :grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Reminds me of a place I used to work, where we would have tours through from time to time. Our boss was, erm, especially challenged when it came to social skills. He brought a tour through once and we briefly stopped what we were doing as our boss described the instruments and what they do. We stood in front of the instruments waiting to be introduced. He *skipped over* each of us and went on "introducing" the equipment! Jeez! Left us just standing there, dumbfounded.

But yes, some people definitely have terrible social skills. I'd give a new person a bit of slack, he/she may simply be nervous.

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, terrible social skills. The new person and employee were walking around, so I asked whether the student belonged to her. The only answer was "yes". Later I tried to introduce myself directly to the student, but that wasn't too successful either :rolleyes: It really shouldn't be that difficult, it should be fun to welcome new people!

Now I'm just annoyed, but don't want to appear to be too judgmental, which makes me more irritated about the situation. I should just let it slide.. deep breath.

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They say there are about a dozen people working in our lab, but I only have eyes for vacuum chambers and electronics! :wink:

6. Aug 30, 2010 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I worked in a lab where the supervisor would introduce herself and title when a group came through; but no one else.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook