Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's wrong with de Broglie?

1. Aug 5, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

De Broglie had proposed the theory of wave particle duality. But I don't understand how the relation λ=h/(mu) holds true. I will tell you why:

De Broglie's derivation:
    E=mc2 and E=hv
    So mc2=hv
    Thus, λ=h/(mc) and for particles its h/(mu).

I have a problem in the last line. All of us know that according to the theory of relativity, speed of light c is a constant and is independent of the frame of reference. It remains c from all reference frames i.e. if you are to travel at 2*108 m/s, you will still find light travel at c (unlike other particles which would otherwise travel at 1*108 m/s for you.) This means that the velocity of light relative to everyone is c. So h/(mc) does not need a defined reference frame.

In the above equation, when I am replacing c with u (for particles) the expression lacks a defined frame of reference. u is not an independent velocity but it is a velocity with respect to some observer. Who is this observer?

Gramercy...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2014 #2
    Your derivation is incorrect. The (special-relativistic) De-Broglie Einstein relations are as follows
    $$p = \hbar k$$
    or in coordinates
    $$\begin{pmatrix}
    E/c \\
    \vec p
    \end{pmatrix}
    =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    \hbar \omega/c \\
    \hbar \vec k
    \end{pmatrix} \, ,$$
    which makes perfect sense for photons. The problem is that you cannot use
    $$E= m c^2 \dot t \, ,$$
    where the dot represents differentiation with respect to the proper time of the photon. This is nonsense, since photons (considered as points) travel with ##c## and thus do not experience any time lapse. On a principle level, photons do not have any mass, so you cannot divide by it to get the Compton-Wavelength.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook