What's wrong with Michelson's explanation of ether dragging?

• Thread starter joey_m
  • Start date
Using the word 'aether' is probably asking for trouble. I, perhaps, should have used 'dark energy' as a modern replacement or perhaps something akin to 'Hubble flow', or maybe 'quintessence'.
It doesn't matter what terms you use, actually it makes it worse. You said, "Incidentally, the Michelson Morley experiment failed because the aether moves towards the centre of the earth". Strike "aether" and replace the term with "dark energy" and you only compound your problem. "The Michelson Morley experiment failed because dark energy moves towards the centre of the earth" makes no sense whatsoever. It's so distorted that I wouldn't even know where to begin explaining the problem. The 'Hubble flow' is even worse still. Using 'quintessence' is no different than saying something is made of something. However, I do understand the generalizations you have made and why. Your authoritative tone is off the deep end.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I think we have allowed this thread enough breathing time, and it is appropriate to point out the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374", especially for those of you who are new here. Pay particular attention to speculative, unverified personal theories and where exactly you can try these. PF is not the place to simply throw out an idea without any valid premise, so if you only wish to do that, you've found the wrong place.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: