Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's wrong with my battery?

1. Mar 23, 2003 #1
    I have a lap top, and for some unknown reason, the computer is telling me that the battery is low. I have it attached to a socket though. I don't know what's wrong! I keep changing where I put the computer (according to the placement of the sockets around my house).
    If you know what's possibly wrong??!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2003 #2

Science Advisor

1. Your battery is broken or somethin'...
    (Try anothet one.)
    2. Your cable is flawed. (Do you have a fluke
    or something to check conductence, or simply
    another cable.)
    3. Your laptop's battery/cable socket is flawed.
    You can try to clean them (NOT with water ! :smile:).
    4. Are there single use (not accumulator) batteries
    for lap-tops ? (Maybe it's one of those... :wink:)
    5. Are you sure there IS electricity in your house ?

Live long and prosper.
  4. Mar 23, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those batteries can wear out after a while, particularly if they are Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries.

You may simply need to get a new one.
  5. Mar 23, 2003 #4
    Could be a battery memory problem. Try draining the battery completely then recharging it as recommended in the manual for the first use. Usually that's about 6 hours I think. Sometimes if you charge it for more you get memory problems again. By memory I mean that the battery will only top up to a certain amount if there is already charge in it when you recharge. As far as draining the battery, I'm not sure if windows shuts down at a certain level or not but if it does, maybe if you open in dos or even use a boot disk and just leave it on until it shuts off by itself. If you can run an audio cd it probably wouldn't take as long with all the laser and motor action.

You could also check the manufacturers site and see if they have come across the same problem before. Maybe they already have a fix.

There's some ideas anyway.

Raavin :wink:
  6. Mar 24, 2003 #5
    I think I did that, Raavin. I left it for a day and when I tried to turn it on, it worked. Then I saw your post, so I guess that's what happened.
    THANKS EVERYONE!(Lets hope this isn't temporary! )
  7. Mar 24, 2003 #6
  8. Mar 24, 2003 #7
    Yeah, but the insurance time is done, after only a 2 years. Do I need the inusrance in the first place?
  9. Mar 30, 2003 #8
    Wierd phenomenon!

My computer has "battery lights", like any other lap top. Anyway, when I put it on my lap, the lights turn green, but when I put it on an inanimate thing, it turns yellow! Can anyone explain why this happens?

note: green=good
  10. Mar 31, 2003 #9
    Probably some connecting piece is loose, so the battery kinda 'hangs loose' when it's not on a hard surface. Stupid mechanical things like that break all the time.
  11. Apr 2, 2003 #10
    even when I put it on a table or something? WHY ME??!!:wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?