Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's wrong with this picture

1. May 23, 2007 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google earth image of mid-town NYC

[​IMG]

Rockefeller center is in the middle of the picture.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2007 #2
    Buildings seem to lean in opposite ways?

4. May 23, 2007 #3
    I can think of several logical explanations for the weird image.

Perhaps it is manipulated? Each section represents a distinct difference in angle.

[​IMG]

It is true that strong winds can move the top of the larger buildings several meters, but I'm not sure that sounds reasonable from the image. It also would not explain how tow buildings standing next to each other would sway in different ways.

Images compiled from different sources or points in time?

5. May 23, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

6. May 23, 2007 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, looks like photos from different aerial viewpoints have been stitched together, last time I checked these were pretty low-range photos taken from aircraft rather than satellite images or anything too fancy.

The shadows looks right though...

7. May 23, 2007 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The guy is the NY Giants cap is jaywalking at the corner of 52nd and Madison.

8. May 23, 2007 #7

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Google's high res imagery is done by making mosaics of lots of different aerial photos, so angles will often seem a bit off. Just to confuse things more, the photos aren't always from the same date, so you can pass between up to date photos and those several years old without knowing.

9. May 23, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Different satellite positions, which means different orbits/different times. There could be sequential frames which would have different angles E-W orientation, the different N-S angles indicate different orbit assuming the same camera orientation.

Shadows are different, so that clearly means different time of day or different days.

The composite certainly could be 'manipulated' from different satellites.

10. May 23, 2007 #9

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ground sinking in NYC?
    Gravitational wave passing?
    Escher works on Google Maps?
    Buildings lean according to political affiliation?

It might interesting to see the scene from a different viewpoint (i.e. not overhead)... of course, without the 3D building layer.

11. May 23, 2007 #10

Astronuc

:rofl: Good eyes, Eagle Eye Bob!

12. May 24, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: The images on Google Maps are not live images, they're composites of many images, often taken from different angles and times of day. Where my house is, Google Maps still shows a big clearing of dirt from 3 years ago when construction started here. There are a lot of places where high resolution images aren't available yet, and they get patched in as they get them. In all likelihood, they had several aerial photos of NYC, but then a gap was left for Rockefeller Center, so a single photo of that block was added between the other stitched-together images.

I do agree that it's very Escher-esque though. :biggrin:

13. May 24, 2007 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Normally you can very clearly see the stitching, sometimes you can see summer and winter scenes next to eachother in the same image :smile: the guy that stitched this image back together really must be a perfectionist: at the first eye nothing is wrong with the picture, even when looking closer you cannot see any stitch lines, the fact that the picture leaves you a bit 3d-disoriented is the only clue that something is wrong :biggrin:

14. May 24, 2007 #13
  15. May 24, 2007 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That definately is an amazing picture, but it doesn't take a geneious to put it back together: there is special software that can piece together an image when there is about 20% overlap at the edges.
    I doubt that is being done with the Google images, since the pictures are so different. How would the software know that the building that is leaning over the wrong way should be projected over the street of the picture next to it and not under the street?

16. May 24, 2007 #15

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you want some fancy stitching in 3D, check out
    http://labs.live.com/photosynth/ , a preview from Microsoft.
    (Don't run this on an old or slow computer.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?