Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats wrong with this picture?

1. May 22, 2008 #1
    An email I got:

Notice the parts in bold. I really should send them an email saying what f' is a health center at a university doing promoting such bullshizza as 'chakras'.

Better not upset the fung-sway of my charkas or the bhraman buddist gods of tea leaves might be angry! :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2
    New Age garbage has been intruding into actual medicine for a while now. The reason? People are idiots.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. May 22, 2008 #3
    I sent them an email saying this is not respected by the medical community, and it looks very poorly for a university health center to promote such nonsense.

Its too bad the summer started, or Id write to the school paper.

5. May 22, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Balancing of chakras, eh? I'd go and demand proof. :rofl:

6. May 22, 2008 #5
    Is it bad that I read Chakra and the first thing that came to mind was Fight Club?

7. May 22, 2008 #6
    I don't remember that word being in that movie. Now, if you had said Naruto, or Final Fantasy Tactics or something, then sure.

8. May 22, 2008 #7
    Eh, eastern medicine works, its not all crap... Feng shui has nothing to do with it...

9. May 22, 2008 #8

Defennder

Homework Helper

I don't see anything wrong with the email. Meditation does provide genuine medical physiological benefits, if you disregard all the new age philosphical BS surrounding it. It's just that they chose to name the session "Balancing of Chakras". Why does the name matter?

10. May 22, 2008 #9
    Because meditation relaxes you and provides its benefits regardless of how balanced your chakra is and how tuned in you are to your inner spirit. As an educational institution, a university should emphasize the former and not the latter.

To me the worst is how all this stuff is creeping into the mainstream media. Has anyone seen The Secret? :yuck: I almost puked during that movie.

11. May 22, 2008 #10

Evo

Post a link to scientific studies showing that this is consistantly medically proven. Maybe sometimes, depending on how suggestive the person is. But that is the key, how suggestive the person is. I had the top clinical hypnotist in the US, a well known psychologist, try to hypnotize me. Told me he had never been unable to put anyone under. I was his first failure.

Meditation wouldn't work for me. My mind is too active to artificially shut it down. You have to want and believe and be very suggestive for meditation to work, so it's not something that actually works for anyone that tries it.

12. May 22, 2008 #11

Defennder

Homework Helper

It's just a name, I really don't see anything wrong with it. On the other hand, if they start handing out or selling New Age DVDs, books during the meditation session then of course that's objectionable. For the record, I don't know what chakras are, but I do agree to a certain extent that they could have written it as "Balancing the Chakras" with quotation marks if they wanted it to be nothing more than just a meditation session.

13. May 22, 2008 #12
    Yes, its just a name. Until some non-science based students take it, think they feel better and start buying into that 'sh!tcra' nonsense. Woops, did I spell it wrong. :devil:

You SHOULD see something wrong with a university promoting what amounts to a pile of crap. Its a slap in the face to the biology deparment.

14. May 22, 2008 #13

russ_watters

So it is ok because it is only half crap? Why not actually just have a class on meditation?

Teacher: What you are going to learn today is half crap.
    Student: [raises hand] Could you cover all the crap in the morning session so I can skip it and come back for the afternoon session?
    Teacher: Sorry, no - you won't have any way of knowing which part is the crap, and I'm not going to tell you.

15. May 23, 2008 #14

Defennder

Homework Helper

This isn't my area of expertise, so I am not directly acquainted with such studies. But on the other hand a quick search in ScienceDirect using my college's login shows the following:

Meditation found to increase brain size
    Harvard University Gazette, January 23, 2006

There isn't an abstract for this article, probably because it's rather short, and I can't post it here for fear of copyright violation. If you have access you might want to check this out.
    I don't have any idea how the session would be conducted and whether it's largely going to be meditation alone or with plenty of New Age philosophical garbage thrown in. I doubt you know this either, unless you've actually been to or have heard from those who have been to similar meditation sessions organised by health centre.

I myself have been to a couple of Buddhist meditation sessions, and while I don't believe in their philosophy and religion, I find meditation itself to be rather calming. Maybe it's psychological, but it does work for me.

I would agree that it'll be better if they left out the New Age stuff. But then again anyone who finds it nonsensical can simply ignore the New Age crap and focus on the meditative practice. I did this when I attended a couple of Buddhist meditative sessions.

16. May 23, 2008 #15
    Sadly, you missed the point of this thread entirely. Im not talking about meditation, nor am I complaining about meditation.

17. May 23, 2008 #16

Evo

I guess people wanting to try it are already half way there, they are willing to let their minds go. Hey, if they can and want to do that , more power to them. They are a drop in barrel though.

18. May 23, 2008 #17

Defennder

Homework Helper

Cyrus, that part of my reply was not addressed to you. It was in response to Evo, which I quoted in my post. Anyway, I can't vouch for the veracity of these studies, since this isn't my field. It's just something I could dig up with ScienceDirect.

19. May 23, 2008 #18
    I dont doubt that meditation can relax a person, lowering stress related problems health-wise.

20. May 23, 2008 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it has been pretty well established that meditation provides stress relief that is statistically significant compared to a control group with no meditation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11305069
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...med.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...med.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus

This alone does not invalidate it as a medical treatment. There are probably hundreds of perfectly good treatments out there that do not work on any particular individual.

It's one thing to teach medically verified meditation techniques and another thing altogether to put your chakras on a tight-rope.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  21. May 23, 2008 #20

Evo

I don't doubt that it can relax people that buy into it. But what about the majority of the public it doesnt work for?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?