What is the mistake in this proof?

• Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a faulty proof involving complex numbers and the incorrect assumption that the product of two complex numbers' square roots is equal to the square root of their product. The issue is clarified by explaining the concept of branches and providing a better definition of complex numbers. The error in the proof is pointed out and a specific example is given to illustrate why the assumption is incorrect.
murshid_islam
what's wrong with the following proof:

[tex]i = \sqrt\left(-1\right)[/tex]
[tex]i.i = \sqrt{\left(-1\right)}.\sqrt{\left(-1\right)}[/tex]
[tex]i^2 = \sqrt\left(-1\right).\left(-1\right)[/tex]
[tex]i^2 = \sqrt 1[/tex]
[tex]i^2 = 1[/tex]

but we know that i2 = -1

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oh dear god not again.

There must be one of these a week.

Given you've put a 'winking' thing there we assume you know what is wrong with it (branches of square roots). Which makes this thread bloody annoying.

sorry, the winking thing was UNintended. i meant to give the "question mark". i really don't know what's wrong with this. so any help will be appreciated.

I told you: branches. Square roots don't behave like that. There is no reason to suppose they do. This demonstrates that they don't. It's only confusing if you think it must be true and there is no reason to suppose that.

can you please explain what you mean by branches?

and what about this:
[tex]i = \left(-1\right)^{1 \over 2}[/tex]
[tex]i.i = \left(-1\right)^{1 \over 2}.\left(-1\right)^{1 \over 2}[/tex]
[tex]i^2 = \left(\left(-1\right).\left(-1\right)\right)^{1 \over 2}[/tex] (since apbp = (ab)p)
[tex]i^2 = 1^{1 \over 2}[/tex]
[tex]i^2 = 1[/tex]

When you square a complex number, you are actually multiplying it by its conjugate. If the number is a+bi then its conjugate is a-bi. In this case, a=0 and b=1. If you substitute them into your equation, the error should be abundantly clear.

From a different viewpoint: It is not sufficient to define "[itex]i= \sqrt{-1}[/itex]" because there are two complex numbers whose square is -1. Since the complex numbers do not form an ordered field, we cannot distinguish between them by saying "the positive root" as we do in real numbers.

Better definition of complex numbers: the set of ordered pairs of real numbers (a, b) with addition defined "coordinate wise"- (a,b)+ (c,d)= (a+c, b+d)- and multiplication defined by (a,b)(c,d)= (ac- bd,ad+bc). Identify the real number, a, with (a, 0) to make the real numbers a subset and then i= (0, 1). i*i= (0,1)(0,1)= (0*0-1*1,0*1+1*0)= (-1, 0). With those definitions, it is not in general true that [itex]\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}= \sqrt{ab}[/itex].

so the 3rd line of the following is wrong?

[tex]i = \left(-1\right)^{1 \over 2}[/tex]
[tex]i.i = \left(-1\right)^{1 \over 2}.\left(-1\right)^{1 \over 2}[/tex]
[tex]i^2 = \left(\left(-1\right).\left(-1\right)\right)^{1 \over 2}[/tex] (since apbp = (ab)p)
[tex]i^2 = 1^{1 \over 2}[/tex]
[tex]i^2 = 1[/tex]

Yes. The third line is wrong.

grant9076 said:
When you square a complex number, you are actually multiplying it by its conjugate

No, you are not.

HallsofIvy said:
Identify the real number, a, with (a, 0) to make the real numbers a subset and then i= (0, 1). i*i= (0,1)(0,1)= (0*0-1*1,0*1+1*0)= (-1, 0). With those definitions, it is not in general true that [itex]\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}[/itex]
can you please give me a specific example where [itex]\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}[/itex] is not equal to [itex]\sqrt{ab}[/itex]?

You already gave an example in your first post.

matt grime said:
You already gave an example in your first post.
so [itex]\sqrt{\left(-1\right)}.\sqrt{\left(-1\right)}[/itex] is NOT equal to [itex]\sqrt{\left(-1\right).\left(-1\right)}[/itex]. is that what you mean?

Essentially, the confusion is due to the fact that [tex]\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} = \sqrt{ab}[/tex] is only true when [tex]a,b \geq 0[/tex]. So, yes, in your third step you violated this essential rule.

Last edited:
murshid_islam said:
so [itex]\sqrt{\left(-1\right)}.\sqrt{\left(-1\right)}[/itex] is NOT equal to [itex]\sqrt{\left(-1\right).\left(-1\right)}[/itex]. is that what you mean?

Yes, that is what he means. Safest is to only assume sqrt(ab) = sqrt(a)sqrt(b) when a, b are both positive reals.

Just to help you see why:

We can write any complex number [itex]z[/itex] in a unique way as [itex]z=re^{i\theta}[/itex] where [itex]r>0[/itex] and [itex]\theta \in [0, 2\pi)[/itex].

When [itex]x[/itex] is a nonnegative real define [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] to be the unique nonnegative real number [itex]y[/itex] such that [itex]y^2 = x[/itex]. You can show using this definition that [itex]\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}[/itex] holds when [itex]a,b[/itex] are nonnegative reals. Then for any complex number [itex]z[/itex] written in the form I mentioned, we define [itex]\sqrt{z} = z^{1/2} = \sqrt{r}e^{i\theta/2}.[/itex]

So let's try out this definition. If [itex]z=-1[/itex], then we write [itex]z = e^{i\pi}[/itex], and we get [itex]\sqrt{z} = e^{i\pi / 2} = i[/itex]. As you might expect.

So what's [itex]\sqrt{-1}\sqrt{-1}[/itex]? Well, it's [itex]e^{i\pi/2}e^{i\pi /2} = e^{i\pi} = -1[/itex]. As you've already shown, [itex]\sqrt{(-1)(-1)} = 1[/itex], so we conclude that [itex]\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}[/itex] does not hold in general for complex [itex]a,b[/itex].

(This has all been posted in previous threads, by myself and others!)

Last edited:
thanks very much for your explanation, Data. it made a lot of things clear to me.

grant9076 said:
When you square a complex number, you are actually multiplying it by its conjugate. If the number is a+bi then its conjugate is a-bi. In this case, a=0 and b=1. If you substitute them into your equation, the error should be abundantly clear.
No, the square of a number is the number multiplied by itself. You are talking about getting the square of the modulus which is a completely different thing.

1. What is the purpose of checking for errors in a proof?

The purpose of checking for errors in a proof is to ensure that the logic and reasoning used to reach a conclusion are sound and accurate. By identifying any mistakes or flaws in the proof, the validity of the conclusion can be verified.

2. How can I tell if there is an error in a proof?

Errors in a proof can be detected by carefully examining each step and checking for any inconsistencies, contradictions, or unsupported assumptions. It is also helpful to compare the proof to known and accepted proofs in the same field.

3. Is it common for proofs to contain errors?

Yes, it is not uncommon for proofs to contain errors, especially in more complex or advanced mathematical and scientific fields. This is why it is important to thoroughly check and verify the logic and reasoning used in a proof.

4. What should I do if I find an error in a proof?

If you find an error in a proof, it is important to carefully analyze and understand the mistake before attempting to correct it. Depending on the severity of the error, it may be necessary to start the proof over or make minor adjustments to the existing proof.

5. Are there any specific strategies for identifying errors in a proof?

One strategy for identifying errors in a proof is to work through the proof in reverse, starting from the conclusion and examining each step to see if it logically leads to the previous step. Another strategy is to have someone else review the proof and provide feedback and potential areas for improvement.