Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's Wrong With This Statement?

1. Jul 19, 2008 #1
    This seems like a distorted version of science.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2008 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Jul 19, 2008 #3
    Though i'm a bit confused by the wording, the part about 'no life' doesn't male much sense to me. Whether there's no life or not has no impact on the rate at which one or the other will fall. It's just a matter of aerodynamics.

Or did I interpret it incorrectly?
  5. Jul 19, 2008 #4
    I'm assuming he means "isolated from reality."
  6. Jul 19, 2008 #5
    Oh. Somewhat the same as the "If a tree falls in a forest..." question?
  7. Jul 19, 2008 #6
    Here's a place that could possibly exist.
    Earth hoax.
  8. Jul 19, 2008 #7
    I think what he was saying is that somehow our body of knowledge exists only in a vacuum, which wouldn't make any sense because science will discard an idea that does not correspond to the natural world.
  9. Jul 19, 2008 #8

10. Jul 19, 2008 #9
    Lovely picture. :smile: Just to provide context on this statement, it was made during a class on rhetoric. Isn't this a requirement if you want to become a lawyer?
  11. Jul 19, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Presumably if you can answer the question about whether rhetoric is required, you don't need the course on rhetoric?
  12. Jul 19, 2008 #11

Staff: Mentor

Is that a rhetorical question?
  13. Jul 19, 2008 #12
    Precisely! :rofl:
  14. Jul 19, 2008 #13

Gold Member

Does this person think that we consider cannon balls and feathers to fall in the same distance in the same time, outside of a vacuum? It is mentioned, and this person states it himself, that this is what occurs in a, "vacuum." I have to mention that we do study things that happen in the real world and things that happen in a vacuum.
  15. Jul 20, 2008 #14
    The author of that quote does not see the need for studying anything that does not occur visibly in his daily life? That's the best I could do.
  16. Jul 20, 2008 #15
    Be thankful this guy never learned about special relativity...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?