What's your favourite low-budget dish?

• Thread starter AJKing
  • Start date
In summary: Hahaha, counter intuitive that it would taste better after it's been rotting in your fridge for a year, but hey, I'll try it. I canned it in a pint mason jar and stored it in my desk drawer. No different from any canned food you buy at the store.
AJKing
Mine is my tea cup.
Heh. Heh. Just kidding.

My favourite food to make on a low budget is deffinitelly carrot soup. It's basically free!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegan-Carrot-Soup/Detail.aspx

Just ignore the onion and spices; focus on "salt and pepper to taste".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mac n cheese with ranch beans and a dab of ranch.

Egg salad sammy or eggy in a hole or eggy in a pepper slice

Moose, grouse, or caribou right out of the woods.

Buttered pasta. Add a chicken breast and marinara sauce to get the protein as needed.

Antiphon said:
Buttered pasta. Add a chicken breast and marinara sauce to get the protein as needed.

What is "protein"?

AJKing said:
What is "protein"?

You'll find typical protein foods here: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/protein-foods.html

In college, I could subsist on lentil soup. Cheap and easy. When I had extra money, I'd make up a batch of spaghetti sauce and freeze much of it.

turbo said:
When I had extra money, I'd make up a batch of spaghetti sauce and freeze much of it.

The batch I made yesterday came out very well. Each time I make it I think, "I probably shouldn't put this much garlic in," but I'm always glad I do.

Lettuce with home made croutons, dressing and cheese is cheap.
PB and J or other simple sandwiches.
Pasta anything.
A jar of mayonnaise.
Oatmeal with honey.
Egg and cheese omelette with sour cream.
Moonshine with ice.

Anybody in for nettle soup? Taste is close to spinach.

When I can't get filet mignon I'll go for a New York strip steak.

If I'm on the run and need an emergency meal, I go for a heaping tablespoon of super chunky peanut butter and about eight oz of milk. That's about 350 calories and very nearly a meal.

Macaroni (or any other pasta) with tuna, chicken or beef, or other animal protein - with vegetables.

Rice, corn and beans/lentils, gives most amino acids. Otherwise, one can add quinoa.

Look for vegetables and root crops in season.

Add seasonal berries and fruit.

ChiralWaltz said:
A jar of mayonnaise.

Are you eating this plain?!

I guess lentils would be mine. Or sunny side up eggs with grits.

Evo said:
I guess lentils would be mine. Or sunny side up eggs with grits.

I was thinking eggs, too. Versatile and cheap.

Mine would be vegemite, tomato and cheese on wholegrain bread.

Bread, mayo, and a fried egg. (Or put it on a small dish and microwave it if you don't like it fried.) Egg sandwich! Mmmmm...

Field mushrooms are in good supply here, they are free, and can be cooked in a variety of ways, i like mine fried in garlic butter with an egg on top.
Black berries are all so in season, all you have to do is brave the thorns while picking them made into a pie with some local apples mmmmmm.

Low budget as in with the least ingredients? (I don't consider any of my recipes as high-budget, if fresh herbs are left out).

For simple: I love steamed potatoes with salt and a little butter/oil.

Brown rice.

I just had some lentil soup that I thought was absolutely terrible when I first made it. But now that it has aged a year, I think it is my new favorite meal. Very cheap to make.

Pkruse said:
I just had some lentil soup that I thought was absolutely terrible when I first made it. But now that it has aged a year, I think it is my new favorite meal. Very cheap to make.

Hahaha, counter intuitive that it would taste better after it's been rotting in your fridge for a year, but hey, I'll try it.

I canned it in a pint mason jar and stored it in my desk drawer. No different from any canned food you buy at the store. Anyone who wants to eat cheap needs a pressure cooker and a collection of mason jars. It makes both the cooking and storing of the food quick, simple, and cheap.

Last edited:

What's your favourite low-budget dish?

As a scientist, I am often asked about my favourite low-budget dish. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions and my answers:

1. Why is it important to have a favourite low-budget dish?

Having a go-to low-budget dish is important because it allows you to save money while still enjoying a delicious and nutritious meal. It also helps to reduce food waste by using ingredients that are affordable and readily available.

2. What factors do you consider when choosing a low-budget dish?

When choosing a low-budget dish, I consider the cost of ingredients, the nutritional value of the dish, and how easy it is to prepare. I also like to choose dishes that can be made in bulk and stored for future meals.

3. Can you share your favourite low-budget dish recipe?

Unfortunately, as a scientist, I am not able to provide specific recipes. However, I recommend searching for recipes online or experimenting with different ingredients to create your own low-budget dish that suits your taste preferences.

4. Are there any specific ingredients to avoid when making a low-budget dish?

When trying to stick to a low-budget, it is important to avoid expensive ingredients such as meat, seafood, and exotic fruits and vegetables. Instead, opt for affordable options such as beans, rice, and seasonal produce.

5. How can I make my favourite dish more budget-friendly?

There are many ways to make your favourite dish more budget-friendly. You can try substituting expensive ingredients with more affordable options, buying in bulk, or meal planning to avoid food waste. You can also look for deals and discounts when shopping for ingredients.