Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's Your Heaviest Day?

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    If you're like me: going to university without a car, odds are you have to carry all your stuff for the days classes.

So which day of the week do you carry the heaviest load, and what exactly are you loaded with?

Wednesday used to be mine, coming in at 3 binders and three textbooks, but I managed to cut it down to one binder, and the load kind of evens out with the rest of the week.

How about you?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2
    Tuesdays: An English textbook & notebook, Economics textbook, coursebook, & notebook, Computer Science textbook & notebook. Notebooks are much easier to carry than binders.

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    Yeah, that's why I started leaving them at home. None of my teachers holepunch stuff anyways, except for my calc. That I need my binder for. It's not always the weight, it's just fitting everything into the bag...speaking of which I need to shove in another textbook before I go to bed.

5. Oct 1, 2009 #4
    deadlift day :tongue2:

actually, whenever i'm stupid enough to carry all the anatomy stuff at once. i can't believe all the supplemental crap that comes with this one freaking course.

6. Oct 1, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Proton Soup, you're taking an anatomy course? If you need help, that's what I teach. I don't check the HW forums much anymore, because there's usually all chemistry and little biology type stuff, but if you post something, pass me a PM and I'll take a look-see.

I was THRILLED to talk to one of the textbooks reps recently and find out that instead of a hardbound version of texts, I can order an unbound version with three-hole punches that students can put in a 3-ring binder. That way, they only need to carry the chapter they are reading at that time rather than the whole heavy book. The idea that my students might actually be able to carry relevant chapters with them to study during the day rather than leaving the books at home because they're too heavy to lug around is VERY appealing. I'm reviewing several books they offer to see if one will be suitable for my courses.

My "heavy" day is usually Friday and Monday, when I lug all my scrubs home to wash and then carry them back again. I could use the laundry service at the hospital, but that's a pain in the butt and I'd probably need twice as many scrubs for them to wash them and have time to return them, and then they'd probably be all scratchy to wear (I don't think they use any fabric softener with their laundry service). I just dedicate a laundry load to nothing but scrubs so none of my every-day clothes get anywhere near those smelly things.

7. Oct 1, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

I hope my young cousin's husband joins up, MB. He is the one that I photographed for the PF proliferation thread. He is taking anatomy, physiology, and human development at the regional technical college, as well as working full-time managing a restaurant, working out, and practicing Taekwondo. With his schedule, he could certainly benefit from some off-hours advice on his course-work. He's pretty busy, so his profs probably don't have office-hours that make them readily accessible to him.

8. Oct 1, 2009 #7
    heh, yeah, i'm actually coloring in anterior lower leg muscles in Kapit & Elson atm. so i've got that, the Marieb & Hendon text and lab guide bundle that cost nearly $300, plus some Adam guide that apparently doubled in price since they started offering the software to students. and a med dictionary was rec'd. and we have powerpoint/pdf lecture slides that most everyone prints out too. it's just a whole bunch of stuff. i'll memorize what i have to, but no way will it all get read.

and thanks for the support, if i think of something i'll send you a pm.

9. Oct 1, 2009 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If he does, let him know he can send me PMs to help with any questions he posts. Sometimes it's difficult to convince my students that they need to give up some extracurricular activities if they want to do well in their courses.

10. Oct 1, 2009 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't use Marieb and Hendon, but I do use one of the other Marieb texts for my nursing students (she's a nurse, and the clinical information in her chapters is very useful for them, otherwise I would probably select a text by another author, because I find too many mistakes). Marieb has a multitude of texts, and when you compare them all, they are basically all just rearrangements of the same material. I don't require all the supplemental material that comes with those texts, and tell my students that if they can find it cheaper used without the supplemental material, they can go for it. Some of it is really good material, but TOO MUCH for undergrads. I'm going to be meeting with the rep from that company later this month, and I've invited one of their other reps to show the online resources to our department then. I want them to see it, because I think some of the material is of sufficient quality for our med students, and better than what other faculty in our department are trying to produce without looking at these texts they think are for undergrads. But, I think the publishing company needs to realize that it's too much for an undergrad course. I won't have my students use the online materials unless I can customize it to remove content so I don't overwhelm them with unnecessary details.

Printing powerpoint files is pretty common nowadays. Trust me, you do NOT want to learn anatomy with chalkboard drawings. :biggrin: Earlier this week, we had technical problems in the classroom I teach in, and it took a while for the IT people to get the projector and computer working again (and then half the class period before I had a microphone...and when it was finally working, my students told me they heard me better without it! I had no idea I was THAT loud!). Luckily, it was the day I had a pop quiz planned, otherwise I was trying to figure out how I was going to give my lecture on a chalk board. I could have done it, but they'd have had some awful drawings rather than photos and illustrations.

11. Oct 1, 2009 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks, Moonie, I will. He's a workaholic. When he took his first anatomy exam, the prof didn't post the results until after the weekend, and he was fretting that he really bombed. Instead, he had the top score in his class, and she approached him the next week and asked if he would be willing to help tutor other students who weren't doing so well. I'll give him your offer of PMs - he's a really nice guy. He and my young cousin are in their early 30's and they are working really hard to establish themselves here.

BTW, she is REALLY cute and sweet, which is about the only recipe for luring a Florida boy to live in Maine with its brutal winters. He had a hard time last winter with our 10'+ of snow and frequent nasty driving conditions. He's hardening up, though, and her parents are so happy to have her back here instead of in the the great commercial wasteland that is Orlando.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook