What's your idea of a good time?

• Thread starter Mépris
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Generally, there's two categories, for the people my age that I know of.

1) Clubbing and getting drunk senseless
2) Getting drunk senseless

Hate everything about clubbing, including "dancing", which is just a somewhat polite way to say "hey, let's go be idiots and shake our tushies". (I hope that's not a swear word) I also don't enjoy getting drunk senseless.

I'm figuring what things I find fun and frankly, I'm out of ideas. There's erm, reading, video games, music, long walks and not much else I can think of. Either I haven't met a right bunch of people I can mix with yet or I'm just a very solitary person.

What do you find fun?

Answers and Replies

Pythagorean
Gold Member
discovery

Oh yes, that too! I like finding new things or seeing things from a different perspective.

I like to go to the bar and shoot pool. Sometimes I meet interesting or entertaining people there. Lately, since my friends are not as into billiards, my friends and I have been going to a bar where they have table shuffleboard and playing that so we are all on a level playing field. We met a crazy old southern stoner guy that plays shuffleboard and talks up his game like a pro wrestler. Very entertaining.

Other than that I tend to hang out at the coffee house playing chess. Basically anything involving games of some sort or another.

I like doing math with people. It's more fun than doing math alone.

Experience have taught me to prefer a good time with a good feeling afterwards than a good time with a bad feeling afterwards.

rhody
Gold Member
A Track Day...

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin:

I called Jenny at 867-5309 for a good time, but she never answered.

+1 for doing math with other people. I've learned a lot when working with others. It really depends on who though, as with most things.

Try Janice next time. She's always available. I'd suggest you put her on mute though. You'll know why when you see her...

FlexGunship
Gold Member

Hate everything about clubbing, including "dancing", which is just a somewhat polite way to say "hey, let's go be idiots and shake our tushies". (I hope that's not a swear word) I also don't enjoy getting drunk senseless.

I'm figuring what things I find fun and frankly, I'm out of ideas. There's erm, reading, video games, music, long walks and not much else I can think of. Either I haven't met a right bunch of people I can mix with yet or I'm just a very solitary person.

What do you find fun?
I go clubbing and get drunk out of my mind.

A Track Day...

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin:
+1

I guess, technically, it's an autocross day for me. The track is too cold this time of year.

Area code?

+1 for doing math with other people. I've learned a lot when working with others. It really depends on who though, as with most things.
Doing math?! Oh geeze... There's only one kind of math I like doing... boy band math!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEKWZk16N_w

jtbell
Mentor
When I was a grad student, my main non-physics social activity was going on long bicycle rides with the local bike-touring club, one to three times per week.

FlexGunship
Gold Member
+1 for doing math with other people.
When I was a grad student, my main non-physics social activity was going on long bicycle rides with the local bike-touring club, one to three times per week.
That's 4 to 13.29 times a month!

Having fun, yet, Mepris?

I like nerding it up with a couple of friends, we sometimes get together for a little LAN night and play network DOOM II and Red Alert and stay up until dawn drinking cheap beer. That's always a good time.

I like getting outdoors. Walking, riding, sitting on a hill, I'm not picky, I just like clean air and good scenery.

I like TECHNO! I don't go out so much, but every so often someone will tour that I simply must see. I'm not a dancer, but I'll sit at the back with a stiff drink and a pack of smokes and wobble away for a few hours. Even better, I go to a great outdoor festival once a year for 5 days and that is my "Good Time" for the year really, sitting on the grass passing around a bottle of tequila, good food, good friends, good tunes, no concept of time, it's bliss.

Skateboarding. <3

I love digging around old record stores. I can lose myself for the best part of a day in a good one and come out a whole lot poorer, with a bag full of the black crack (vinyl).

And I like reading and learning new things. Teaching myself some web programming at the moment, making a website for myself and enjoying myself immensely. :)

Evo
Mentor
When I was young, my group of friends would discuss books, a lot of sci-fi, and listen to records. Of course this was before computers, the internet, cable tv, videos, video games...

What those people on Geordie Shore do looks like fun. That's my idea of fun.

Did you/do you like her?

Evo
Mentor
Did you/do you like her?
He found her number on the wall.

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java" [Broken]

Electronic entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
a brilliant math or other lecture or conversation, or superb music performance, or delicious wine with friends, or a nice drive in my (alas, now gone) BMW sedan, or a seat on the water looking at the mountains, or an "aha" moment from a student after a good example or explanation, or a great meal when hungry, reading a wonderful novel say by Dickens, laughing at John Stewart skewer the idiot media, watching "Monk" solve a case, seeing Andrew Luck lay someone out who is trying to tackle him (), or hanging out with my wife, or children, or grands, or achieving a worthy goal.

DoggerDan
http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java" [Broken]

Electronic entertainment.
Oh, come on, Loren! That's not electronic entertainment. This is:

Hmm...If I am laughing then I am having a good time. Also, when I am studying with out pressure or distraction. You are just so into it, it is fun!

chiro
Science Advisor

What do you find fun?
Hey Mepris.

Learn an instrument or if you are going ok, get some other people and get some group play going.

Do some simple beats and get some experience up and then start to improvise.

It doesn't have to be a full on everyday thing: what you should do is after a few get togethers figure out a style you can all agree on and then everyone goes home and does a bit of practice and then you all come together and do a bit of jamming.

You could always write your own music yourself from scratch, but if you have other people who are interested, take the opportunity: you'll have a lot of fun.

Oh, come on, Loren! That's not electronic entertainment. This is:
Great selection. Reminds me of Santana's Lotus.

turbo
Gold Member
In college, I used to run. Lots of running, just like in HS. I dabbled in technical rock-climbing with my next-door neighbor, and used to kidnap another neighbors' Brittany so I could take him for long walks along the river. His owner was a Broadway producer that only came back to Maine on weekends (if then) and his wife and 2 kids ignored the dog. I could have stolen him permanently, with no trouble.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
doing something thoughtful for someone else, as everyone on this forum does by giving free advice.