Is a High IQ at a Young Age a Good Thing?

• Thread starter 12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq
In summary: So my IQ has definitely fluctuated over time. Although, as stated earlier, most IQ tests raise your score if you are younger.
Hey...i am 10 years old and have an IQ of 153.

Is that good or bad for my age? please tell me.

what are your IQs?

Physics news on Phys.org
What IQ test did you take? Considering your age having an IQ of 153 is exceptional. However, most Internet tests are extremely inaccurate and IQ itself is often considered a poor measurement of Intelligence.

I'm typically not an IQ test kind of person but I excel in academics. However judging from my own personal analysis and other characteristics I'd guess my adult IQ would be somewhere above 120 and below 145. A wide range, which could be completely inaccurate. It's probably a good guess considering the hereditary of IQ. IQ is 80% genetic and 20% environment. Since my Mother has a profession considered to usually have an IQ of 120+ and my father a 130+, it can be assumed that my IQ is somewhere above or in that range. I probably had somewhat of an increase based on things I was exposed to. Negative things, but situations that required coping and trained my mind at a rate faster than it should've had to adapt at.

IQ is determined as Mental Age multiplied by 100 divided Chronological age. So according to your IQ you have the Intelligence of someone who is 15 years old. So your ahead of your age category.

Most IQ tests raise your score if your younger. This raise in score is usually eliminated by the age of 16. Due to some mental abilities often increasing after the age of 16, it's not typically all that accurate either.

Basically, your low age is giving you a higher IQ. Your IQ could raise or lower when your older because of that. So, if someone on these forums posts with an IQ of 140 your not necessarily more or less intelligent than them.

I've taken at least 10 internet IQ tests, most claiming to be real, scientifically proven etc. I've gotten between 90 and 210 :rolleyes:

12345 said:
Hey...i am 10 years old and have an IQ of 153.

Is that good or bad for my age? please tell me.

what are your IQs?
Age is factored into IQ tests. And child IQ tests have higher standard deviations than adult IQ tests. Meaning if you're 10 and you scored 153, as an adult, you will score lower than that. Also whether or not it's a good score is fully dependent on what IQ test it is. Some tests have a standard deviation of 16. Others are 15 and some are 24. So all that has to be taken into consideration.

Last edited:
Also asking people on a message board what their IQ is, is like asking guys what their penis size is. Many will overexaggerate and not too many will be truthful.

BlackVision said:
Also asking people on a message board what their IQ is, is like asking guys what their penis size is. Many will overexaggerate and not too many will be truthful.
Oh, those boyz, they'll just lie about damn near anything! lol

BlackVision said:
Age is factored into IQ tests. And child IQ tests have higher standard deviations than adult IQ tests. Meaning if you're 10 and you scored 153, as an adult, you will score lower than that. Also whether or not it's a good score is fully dependent on what IQ test it is. Some tests have a standard deviation of 16. Others are 15 and some are 24. So all that has to be taken into consideration.

i actually took a test for adults developed by PHDs.

3 years ago my IQ was 127. I didn't not take it on the internet, but I had to take it ( i think a professer tested me) in my elementary school so i could join Enrichment ( a program for children).

12345 said:
i actually took a test for adults developed by PHDs.

3 years ago my IQ was 127. I didn't not take it on the internet, but I had to take it ( i think a professer tested me) in my elementary school so i could join Enrichment ( a program for children).
Unless you took an online IQ test, your age was factored in. Psychologists will always factor in your age. If you can find out the name of the test that would be helpful. But without knowing what test it is and without knowing the standard deviation of the test, it does not give much to work on.

By the large IQ gap between your 2 scores. I would guess that either one had a much larger standard deviation or that one of the tests were inaccurate.

I took an IQ test for the GATE program at my school at age 12 (I was representing the school on a game show) and scored a 176. I took one a couple of years ago (I'm 23 now) just for fun, administered by my girlfriend's mother, who is a psychologist, and scored a 162. As everyone else here has pointed out, your score goes down with age.

By the way, I have no idea what either test was named and my penis is 14 inches. Besides, it's hard to see how this measures intelligence in any meaningful way. I'm great at learning math and solving logic puzzles, as well as converting 2-dimensional pictures into 3-dimensional mental images (I'm also a wonderful fiction writer and portrait artist), but I still can't understand a woman's emotions or the convictions of a religious person. These tests don't even pretend to measure interpersonal intelligence, which I would say is a fairly major oversight.

I'm 21. And I look like Marlon Brando.

kuengb said:
I'm 21. And I look like Marlon Brando.

Do you look like he did when he was 21 or like he does now? There is a big, very big, difference. :smile:

Njorl

Njorl said:
Do you look like he did when he was 21 or like he does now? There is a big, very big, difference. :smile:
Hard to say...what I can tell you is that my Brando Quotient BQ is 124. Here's a picture of my famous Brando smile: :biggrin:

I only hope this isn't dangerous to me. :wink:

i've taken a lot and i got around about 158 for each of them, I'm 15 :-/

Oh, I also speak 17 languages and I've appeared in 13 feature films. And I was wrong about my penis size. I measured it again and it's actually 15 inches.

Njorl said:
Heheheheh. Every morning since about the age of forty, Brando has caught sight of himself in the bathroom mirror, and whispered "The horror! The horror!.

I took one official I.Q. test when I was in grade school. I couldn't wait to get the results and be proven a genius. The woman told me some number or other, and I asked what it meant."Don't worry", she said, "It's average."
The horror! The horror!

My IQ is 34 Double-D.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:biggrin: Very...erh...erh... respectable :biggrin: .

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
My IQ is 34 Double-D.

*face...brick...contact...*

Last time i jump into these threads to try and dispell IQ misconceptions...

Very nice though.

Math Is Hard said:
My IQ is 34 Double-D.
Where does that place you compared to say, Marilyn vos Savant, Marilyn Monroe, and Marilyn Chambers?

zoobyshoe said:
The horror! The horror!

I hate that book. I had to do my IB English oral commentary on it. Would have much preferred Hamlet.

zoobyshoe said:
Where does that place you compared to say, Marilyn vos Savant, Marilyn Monroe, and Marilyn Chambers?

uhh.. somewhere between a (nice) rack and a head-case? :tongue2:

say..one thing I'm curious about...how do human IQ tests and zoobian IQ tests differ?

Math Is Hard said:
say..one thing I'm curious about...how do human IQ tests and zoobian IQ tests differ?
Zoobies are naturally immune to all the strains of the I.Q. bacterium. We have no need to be tested for it.

zoobyshoe said:
Zoobies are naturally immune to all the strains of the I.Q. bacterium. We have no need to be tested for it.

Yes, but they might pick up some on their SHOES if they stepped in it.

Also, I believe I heard that Zoobian I.Q. tests must be taken topless.

I came across this unfortunate story about an overzealous expectant mom who wanted a high-IQ baby:

http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/news/features.php?action=fullnews&showcomments=1&id=20456

World News > Mother damages foetus with loud educational tapes

Singapore, June 1 (ANI):

An expectant mother paid the price for her over-enthusiasm leading to her child being born with hearing problems.

According to The Straits Times, Luo, a chinese women wanted a 'gifted' child, which prompted her to play loud educational tapes against her abdomen during pregnancy.

A month after the child's birth, doctors found it to be born with nerve damage. The doctors are hopeful that the boy's sense of hearing would recover as the damage was discovered early.

"Pre-natal education can certainly help speed up a child's growth, but mothers should take care not to press the tape recorder against their abdomen, a child's hearing could be affected if he is subjected to extreme noise over a long period of time at the foetal stage," said Dr Ye Lingfeng, of the Wuhan University's Zhongnan Hospital.

That doctor is quoted as saying "prenatal" education can actually work. I find that difficult to swallow. It's not the same thing as playing Mozart for the fetus. It is not in any position to understand educational tapes.

There is another I.Q. thread up just now, and Evo quoted a story about a guy with an incredible I.Q. He was pushed from birth by his parents. I wonder if that is what's behind most of the people with very high I.Q.s?

I don't think you can convert any baby into a super IQ by pushing, or we would have a lot more geniuses than we do. Just the other day in a bookstore I saw a text on "spatial perceiving" kids who were said to be destined for great smarts. While most of the stuff in the book was how to deal with one of these if you get one, there was just under the surface the offer that if you did the right tricks with your baby you could produce a genius.

Along with the the invisible brain damage that produces active little boys and which can be controlled with drugs, the way to ensure a superbaby is a neverending story in US life.

Well, I don't know about pushing a would-be genius, BUT when you look at Beetoven, what can you say? Remember John Stewart Mills, and Bertrand Russell grew up in their father's library and never went to school before College. Look at Asimov, who had to "mind the store," until he went to college. Then, we have John von Neumann, professor at the Institute of Advanced Studies...why in his case, his family just got him tutors and he didn't have to go to regular school either.

zoobyshoe said:
Heheheheh. Every morning since about the age of forty, Brando has caught sight of himself in the bathroom mirror, and whispered "The horror! The horror!.

I took one official I.Q. test when I was in grade school. I couldn't wait to get the results and be proven a genius. The woman told me some number or other, and I asked what it meant."Don't worry", she said, "It's average."
The horror! The horror!
Zoob, average IQ? I don't think so.

Evo said:
Zoob, average IQ? I don't think so.
Nope, average. That's a 100% true story. I was crushed.

zoobyshoe said:
Nope, average. That's a 100% true story. I was crushed.
Just goes to prove how wrong these tests can be. You're one of the most knowledgeable people I know.

This is the internet, everyone is knowledgeable with a search engine

I agree, Evo. Zooby is not only knowledgeable, but he is also BOTH very analytical and creative. He's also pretty darn funny.
And yes, anyone can use a search engine to gather data, but that doesn't mean s/he will be able to use it for anything meaningful.

Math Is Hard said:
I agree, Evo. Zooby is not only knowledgeable, but he is also BOTH very analytical and creative. He's also pretty darn funny.
Thanks, Math! And Evo! It takes one to know one.

Anyway, the point of my story was just to relate the amusing variation of being damned with faint praise: "Oh, don't worry. It's average."

I've taken at least 10 internet IQ tests, most claiming to be real, scientifically proven etc. I've gotten between 90 and 210

Mine have ranged from 93 to 164.

They were all "PhD Certified" or scientifically proven.

I guess it doesn't matter as long as I have enough intelligence to live my life comfortably.

We never had IQ tests at my schools. We've had reading tests, but that's about it.