Whats your major GPA .Be honest

• Programs
  • Thread starter JSBeckton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpa Major
In summary, this person did poorly in high school but did well in college and got into graduate school because of their better grades.

Whats your major GPA.......Be honest!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• < 2.0

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 2.0-2.3

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 2.4-2.6

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 2.7-2.8

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • 2.9-3.0

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • 3.1-3.2

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • 3.3-3.4

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • 3.5-3.6

Votes: 21 13.0%
  • 3.7-3.8

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • 3.9-4.0

Votes: 57 35.2%

• Total voters
JSBeckton
Whats your major GPA...Be honest!

Just to kinda get an idea how the average user is doing. I know that there are a LOT of variables like major,school,level but just for fun let's see.

And please be honest, what point would there be to "inflate your grade"? No one will know what you choose.

Use your major gpa for junior and above, perhaps overall gpa for freshman and sophmores and final gpa for graduates.

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to cover the 4.0+ area :biggrin:

4.0 is the max at my school, not at yours?

show offs:rofl:

34 DD ...

i don't know what my gpa was, but it makes a difference how it is accumulated.

as a freshman i got (in math) a B- then a D- in spivak type calc, and as a soph, probably a C- and a D in regular several vbls calc and groups and rings, then flunked out.

upon return, i started going to class, and got an A, B+, in diff eq and fields and galois theory and linear algebra, ratcheted up to elite honors level classes (Loomis - Sternberg advanced calc and manifolds), got a B+, A-, then finally an A and a B in two graduate courses (measure theory, spectral theory of compact hermitian operators, and banach algebras). this got me into grad school because the better grades came at the end, including those in grad courses. I also knew a little singular homology theory, and had read a bit in hurewicz - wallman on abstract dimension theory.

Over one summer I read some background in Widders Advanced Calculus I had missed in the Spivak course, and the next summer I read Kelley's General Topology, and worked most of the problems.

it is conceivable to have a 4.0 in a low level undergrad curriculum in the US, without knowing anything about some of those topics, so GPA isn't really that revealing, except perhaps of a good work ethic.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
34 DD ...

I don't get it. :grumpy:

What interpretation of gpa has this as an answer?

mathwonk said:
i don't know what my gpa was, but it makes a difference how it is accumulated.

as a freshman i got (in math) a B- then a D- in spivak type calc, and as a soph, probably a C- and a D in regular several vbls calc and groups and rings, then flunked out.

upon return, i started going to class, and got an A, B+, in diff eq and fields and galois theory and linear algebra, ratcheted up to elite honors level classes (Loomis - Sternberg advanced calc and manifolds), got a B+, A-, then finally an A and a B in two graduate courses (measure theory, spectral theory of compact hermitian operators, and banach algebras). this got me into grad school because the better grades came at the end, including those in grad courses. I also knew a little singular homology theory, and had read a bit in hurewicz - wallman on abstract dimension theory.

Over one summer I read some background in Widders Advanced Calculus I had missed in the Spivak course, and the next summer I read Kelley's General Topology, and worked most of the problems.

it is conceivable to have a 4.0 in a low level undergrad curriculum in the US, without knowing anything about some of those topics, so GPA isn't really that revealing, except perhaps of a good work ethic.

WOW read the disclaimer, just anwser the question man. You seem to remember everything BUT your GPA.

Last edited:
i never was given a "major gpa" to my knowledge and i never even wondered what it was, but if you know how to calculate them i think i have given you enough data to compute it. i have also given you enough to interpret its importance. the only use i make of my transcript is to try to encourage people who are doing poorly gpa-wise.

feel free to disregard any/all of it, but you don't seem to be geting too many answers so i thought i'd try to help out.

Last edited:
George Jones said:
I don't get it. :grumpy:

What interpretation of gpa has this as an answer?
The one where you use halter top as a substitute for GPA. :tongue:

(Of course, I wouldn't condone such a thing)

mathwonk said:
i never was given a "major gpa" to my knowledge and i never even wondered what it was, but if you know how to calculate them i think i have given you enough data to compute it. i have also given you enough to interpret its importance. the only use i make of my transcript is to try to encourage people who are doing poorly gpa-wise.

feel free to disregard any/all of it, but you don't seem to be geting too many answers so i thought i'd try to help out.

I was never given a major GPA, I did the math. I have no time to makes sense of your rambelings. Not looking for anwsers, just votes on the poll, and 16 votes in just a few hours is pretty good I think.

Perhaps this whole poll was just a bet between me and a friend to determine how long it would take Mathwonk to point out the problems with the poll even though there was clearly a disclaimer and point out how you failed out of school only to return to become an educational revolutionary.

You forgot to point out the shortcommings of the American school system though?

JSBeckton said:
I was never given a major GPA, I did the math.

So you computed something that doesn't even exist at your school??
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JSB, I just had a bet with my friend that I could register 10 different usernames and vote 10 times in this thread, just to skew the results...all in under 15 minutes. I won! :rolleyes:

Actually I'd like to point out something that is quite wrong with your poll. It doesn't include the entire band from 0-4.0 for gpa scores. Where would a score of 2.35 or 3.89 fall? I assume that you meant( as an example I’ll use your second choice) that 2.0-2.3 should actually be 2.0-2.4 meaning including 2.0 and up to 2.4 but not including 2.4 then the next value should be 2.4-2.7 etc.

JSBeckton said:
4.0 is the max at my school, not at yours?

We have an A+ that is worth 4.33

Gokul43201 said:
JSB, I just had a bet with my friend that I could register 10 different usernames and vote 10 times in this thread, just to skew the results...all in under 15 minutes. I won! :rolleyes:

There's 15 minutes that you'll never get back.

Math Is Hard said:
So you computed something that doesn't even exist at your school??
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You should too if you ever plan to go on an interview, they don't give a crap what you got in history or philosophy.

I have been on several interviews where my overall GPA was on my resume but they asked for my major GPA.

what said:
Actually I'd like to point out something that is quite wrong with your poll. It doesn't include the entire band from 0-4.0 for gpa scores. Where would a score of 2.35 or 3.89 fall? I assume that you meant( as an example I’ll use your second choice) that 2.0-2.3 should actually be 2.0-2.4 meaning including 2.0 and up to 2.4 but not including 2.4 then the next value should be 2.4-2.7 etc.

What you said would be incorrect. If you wanted to be technical, you could say
2.0-2.39
2.4-2.69

but what you said
2.0-2.4
2.4-2.7

is worse because if you have a 2.40 you can't round to anyone category.

When you get to high school they will talk about something called "rounding"

Any GPA can be "rounded" to the nearest 10th and fit in only one category on that scale.

Last edited:
JSBeckton said:
What you said would be incorrect. If you wanted to be technical, you could say
2.0-2.39
2.4-2.69

but what you said
2.0-2.4
2.4-2.7

is worse because if you have a 2.40 you can't round to anyone category.

When you get to high school they will talk about something called "rounding"

Any GPA can be "rounded" to the nearest 10th and fit in only one category on that scale.

Well when you learn to read correctly I'll respond more courteously to your reply.

including 2.0 and up to 2.4 but not including 2.4

Did you read that, ok re-read it; let sink in it's ok if it takes a while. Let me put it in mathematical notation, which might make it clearer (well to anyone who is mathematically inclined, and for some reason I doubt you are such a person, maybe they didn’t teach math at your high school, but I'll try anyway).

From my end it would look something like this:
choice 1: [0,2)
choice 2: [2,2.4)
choice 3: [2.4,2.7)
last choice: [3.9,4]

what said:
Well when you learn to read correctly I'll respond more courteously to your reply.

Did you read that, ok re-read it; let sink in it's ok if it takes a while. Let me put it in mathematical notation, which might make it clearer (well to anyone who is mathematically inclined, and for some reason I doubt you are such a person, maybe they didn’t teach math at your high school, but I'll try anyway).

From my end it would look something like this:
choice 1: [0,2)
choice 2: [2,2.4)
choice 3: [2.4,2.7)
last choice: [3.9,4]

Sure you could go through all of that......OR YOU CAN JUST ROUND!

Everyone else seems to have cracked the case just fine. There is nothing wrong with the poll little guy.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
34 DD ...

i think the poll was asking for gpa, not bra size

this poll is dumb for so many reasons.

imastud said:
i think the poll was asking for gpa, not bra size

I think it was probably a joke!

I supposed I shouldn't have replied, I feel really dumb now. Everyone else is in the 3.0 range.:frown:

What is GPA?

Is this in the US system?

theCandyman said:
I supposed I shouldn't have replied, I feel really dumb now. Everyone else is in the 3.0 range.:frown:

It's crapola, honey - at least as far as my experience. I've been in the workforce for 20 years and no one has ever asked me for a GPA of any sort, even though I've worked mainly in technical professions. What they really cared about was my experience: Could I show them examples of what I have done, could I give references, etc. In the beginning, I just decided what I wanted to do and started doing it. I found a company I liked and volunteered as an intern with no pay for two weeks. They kept me on (with a small salary) and eventually recommended me to an expanding company for a higher position.

I mentioned bra size earlier as a joke, but what really matters here is the size of something also metaphorically anatomical. Do you have the "you-know-whats" to go and ask for what you want? That's what counts.

Last edited:
theperthvan said:
What is GPA?

GPA is Grade Point Average and is calculated by a weighted average of your classes. Some schools break it down further into more categories but here is the jist of it.

A = 4 points
B = 3 points
C = 2 points
D = 1 point
F = 0 points

Now if you take 4 courses each worth 4 credit hours and get 2 A's, 1 B, and 1 C you have earned

4*4*2+4*3+4*2 = 32 + 12 + 8 = 56 points

Now divide this number by the total number credit hours you attempted = 16

52/16 = 3.25, so your GPA is 3.25 on a 4.0 scale.

When I applied for exchanged they asked for a my GPA, my school doesn't have such a thing. They just told me it didn't mean anything if I didn't have a GPA, just to ignore it and finish my application. So if it means nothing to sending me overseas, then it means nothing at all.

about 40days till I go on exchange :rolleyes: :approve: :cool: :smile: :!) :biggrin: :tongue: .

I have a 2.45 and damn proud of it.

3.73, cause last semester kicked me in the teeth.

My < 3.0 brothers, think about the forum's demographic... how many people with bad GPA's would seriously participate in something called "PHYSICS FORUMS." We should be damn proud of ourselves for even being here. Take that as a toast to mediocrity.

I busted my ass this semester and ended up with a 2.98 cum... If that .02 points isn't not a kick in the nuts, I don't know what is.

The results of this poll are sort of disturbing, it SHOULD be a bell curve. That's grade inflation for you.

Quaoar said:
The results of this poll are sort of disturbing, it SHOULD be a bell curve. That's grade inflation for you.

This website isn't an unbias/random sample. If you went to a republican convention and asked for their opinion on republicans you wouldn't get a bell curve either. It should be no surprise that people who are interested enough in physics to join a website interested in physics would perform better in school than the general public.

SticksandStones said:
This website isn't an unbias/random sample. If you went to a republican convention and asked for their opinion on republicans you wouldn't get a bell curve either. It should be no surprise that people who are interested enough in physics to join a website interested in physics would perform better in school than the general public.

True, but even among scientists the distribution is a little too skewed towards the high end. Perhaps if the poll offered a range of ten values between 3.8 and 4.0 we'd see our friend Mr. Bell... :biggrin:

Quaoar said:
Perhaps if the poll offered a range of ten values between 3.8 and 4.0 we'd see our friend Mr. Bell... :biggrin:
why, here he is now!:rofl:
http://www.wtkf107.com/images/artbell.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: