Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's your major?

1. physics

56.7%
  2. biology

16.7%
  3. chemistry

6.7%
  4. i ain't one for book learnin'

20.0%
  1. Apr 1, 2005 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I'm just wondering which side of science everybody here is on. If you don't fit into any of the categories, please pick the BS poll option rather than simply clicking show results.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As if you couldn't guess what my answer would be.

<------- :rolleyes:

4. Apr 1, 2005 #3

I thought your PhD was in sex? :wink:

5. Apr 1, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Naw... she just did that for extra credits.

6. Apr 1, 2005 #5

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I have absolutely no idea what your science would be :biggrin:

Why are the cute ones always in biology? The chem lab lacks sexiness. :wink:

7. Apr 1, 2005 #6
    Wheres the anthropology and archeology choice?

8. Apr 1, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I spent plenty of time in chemistry labs (I almost got a second major in chemistry; but don't ask me anything about chemistry anymore, amazing how easy it is to forget stuff that you don't keep using).

9. Apr 1, 2005 #8
    Why is mathematics omitted from the poll?

10. Apr 1, 2005 #9

ShawnD

Science Advisor

If I decided to include math, I would also need to include engineering and.... *shudder* psychology.

11. Apr 1, 2005 #10
    Yes, well why are they not in there, and also philosophy. I am really curious whether there are any psychologists here.

12. Apr 1, 2005 #11

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Philosophy at the university in my town is under the faculty of arts. Psychology is kind of boarderline because there's a psychology as arts and one as science. The arts one is is about woman/jedi mind tricks while the science one is about the technical aspects of the brain.

13. Apr 1, 2005 #12
    No math, pff! I chose the "BS poll option"

14. Apr 1, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

gerben, I didn't know you were in biology! :redface: Heh. There might be more of us here than you thought.

As for psychology, that gets tricky. There's quite a group of psychology faculty who would far more quickly identify themselves as biologists, and some of us biologists who delve into behavior and can find homes in psychology departments (neurosciences have really bridged the two fields). I guess if people don't fit with what's in the poll, they could just post their field here.

It would have been nice to have an "other" category, for those who are not in one of those three primary sciences, but also don't fit into the no book learning category.

15. Apr 1, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

They're there; you just can't recognize them with the smocks and safety glasses.

Shouldn't this be in Smurf's thread?

Only as observers...

16. Apr 1, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's true! It's hard to look cute and sexy when you're wearing your oldest clothes (the ones you don't mind discovering mysteriously appearing holes in after you toss them into the wash with whatever chemicals you unknowingly splashed on them) and have goggle imprints on your face. Not to mention you spend most of the class staring at some contraption in a hood, praying the stuff that's supposed to turn green doesn't turn brown. And all the bio students are in the gen chem and organic chem classes with you.

17. Apr 1, 2005 #16

Hey, don't bash psych majors.

18. Apr 1, 2005 #17

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The psych majors got all the chicks...

19. Apr 1, 2005 #18
    Actually i was thinking of one who is one....

20. Apr 1, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Not the bright ones. You are looking for a meaningful relationship, right? I mean, you always seem so much more dignified and proper than the rest of us...

21. Apr 1, 2005 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Ooops. :blushing: Sorry, Franz. I forgot about that... :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?