What's your pet's carbon footprint?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
There are coyotes here in Washington, D.C.!

My cat's carbon paw print? Well, hrm. That's difficult to say. As someone I live with, she uses far less resources than any human I've been around and keeps me far happier. She consumes the horrible stuff that is left over when humans get through with the chicken. Although there's the canning process and shipping to consider. Then there are her meds, which, I have no clue what the environmental impact is of creating those two pills a day for her. However, it's medication that's already produced for humans, and she's consuming a very small dose, and no one's going to stop producing this stuff for humans, so, I think that's a fairly minor contribution to carbon output.

Plus, she's the best kitty ever on the face of the planet, so that's got to be a carbon offset somehow.

Just off, this sounds like over the top rubbish by the hysterical fear mongers. I burn 10 gallons of gasoline a week. This is 10*100K BTU a week.

If Fifi is on a high calorie diet she's a heard of pigs. Does Fifi consume 2,500,000 Dietary calories a week 10M BTU)? It be fair, don't forget to include the 'carbon footprint' of Fifi's Pet Smart toys, trips to the vet, and Fifi's parshare in your common dwelling and resources :p

To put things into perspective, one web site tells me I need 2500 Dietary calories a day.

Last edited:
Anyone care to comment on the psychology of idiots and fear mongering? I really want to know.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Anyone care to comment on the psychology of idiots and fear mongering? I really want to know.
The ones promoting fear or the ones fearing? Or how about the ones promoting or believing conspiracy theories?

Having a critical mind seems to be becoming a terrible burden.