Introducing Yourself: Sharing Your Interests and Goals at Physics Forums

• Thread starter onceuponatrailer
  • Start date
In summary, at Physics Forums, introducing yourself means sharing your interests and goals. This platform allows you to connect with like-minded individuals and discuss various topics related to physics. You can share your passion for the subject, your academic or professional goals, and seek advice from others in the community. By introducing yourself, you can build relationships and contribute to meaningful discussions about physics. It is a great way to connect with others who share your interests and further your knowledge and understanding of the subject.
onceuponatrailer
Here is the beginning of my auto-generated, just-received, "welcome email".

Welcome onceuponatrailer,

Thank you for registering at Physics Forums. We hope you will enjoy the discussions and look forward to your participation.

Start out by introducing yourself in the "new member" area (Please No Questions or Homework):
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/new-member-introductions.240/create-thread

So... I followed that link. And arrived at this page, where I am typing now.

The first field I am required to fill out, contains this prompt:

"What's your question/title? Be specific."

I assume this is intended to convey: "what is the question that brought you here" and/or "what is the title or general category of the subject you are interested in?"

But if I'm not supposed to ask any questions since I am a new forum member, then how am I supposed to interpret this instruction?

Oh shoot, that was a question. Sorry about that.

But, how do I avoid questions if I want to learn something I don't alrewady know?

Crap. Did it again.

?

(I did originally want to ask something, but...)

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
We just ask that you are detailed and explicit in the titles you create for your thread. General and ambiguous titles don't help anyone.

Ah. I think I get it.

So, the welcome letter was trying to say, "make your introduction in the new members forum, but don't use that forum to ask questions".

In which case the prompt is just not well suited to the prior instruction. Probably because it's boilerplate for the subject of all posts.

Okay then. Thanks for clarifying. If I'm still wrong, corrections/notes are always appreciated.

onceuponatrailer said:
So, the welcome letter was trying to say, "make your introduction in the new members forum, but don't use that forum to ask questions".
I see what you are saying. Right, the intro thread should be a welcome and intro to you. Ask your science questions etc in the other appropriate forums off the homepage. Thanks!

Cool. Now that 'protocol' has been sorted out...

Hello all. I'm a not-quite-40-male-human, who studied Mechanical Engineering at CU Boulder back in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I haven't used those skills much since then--not even as a construction manager, believe it or not--since they don't tend to trust monkeys-with-hammers (or in my case, monkeys-with-paperwork) to do much design work. Especially when they already did it first. Although I have seized a few opportunities here and there. Avoided a few disasters.

Right now my principal focus is on ultra-low-cost construction methods and low-energy mechanical, electrical, and food-production systems for residential and small-scale community use. This would includes things like Earth'ship 'biotecture' (which is NOT ultra-low-cost, but nevertheless awesome)... open-source farm robots (fresh organic food that "grows itself" in your backyard)...solar/wind/hydro power-production and -storage...water purification...

...basically any process or technology that helps people meet their basic needs with a minimum of effort. The marriage of low-tech and high-tech. And the simpler the better: if the poor were rich already, they'd be driving Teslas.

But as soon as you start down this road--designing non-traditional structures--you very rapidly find yourself in Materials Science Land. That's a big part of why I'm here, so... off to find the appropriate forum(s).

Thanks!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
onceuponatrailer said:
Crap. Did it again.
LMAO. Great first post. Welcome! :smile:

1. What should I include in my introduction?

When introducing yourself on Physics Forums, it is important to include your name, educational background, and current interests and goals in the field of physics. You can also mention any relevant experience or projects you have worked on.

2. How long should my introduction be?

Your introduction should be concise and to the point, typically no more than a few paragraphs. You want to give enough information to give others a sense of who you are, but not so much that it becomes overwhelming to read.

3. Should I include personal information in my introduction?

It is not necessary to include personal information in your introduction, such as your age, location, or personal beliefs. Stick to professional information related to your interest in physics.

4. How can I make my introduction stand out?

One way to make your introduction stand out is to include a unique or interesting fact about yourself that relates to physics. You can also mention any specific areas of physics that you are particularly passionate about.

5. Is it okay to ask for feedback on my introduction?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for feedback on your introduction from other members of the Physics Forums community. This can help you improve your introduction and make connections with others who share similar interests and goals.