1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wheatstone Bridge

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    I am having trouble finding the Vg for a problem involving a Wheatstone Bridge circuit. If I am labeling the problem correctly, R1=40, R2=70.0 R3=50.0 and R4=20.0.
    Voltage - in = 20.0V

I am using the formula: ((R1*R3) - (R2*R4) *V-in) / (R1 + R2) * (R4+R3) to find Vg between points B and D.

R1=40 (resistance between points A and B)
    R2=70 (resistance between points B and C)
    R4=20 (resistance between points A and D)
    R3=50 (resistance between points C and D)
    + -
    V-in = 20V

2. I think my problem is that I don't know what to do with the resistance of Vg (between points B and D), which is 60.0 ohms.

3. The answer for Vg in the book is 0.94 V, and I am getting 1.56V. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2
    I attached a graphic of the problem

Please see image.

Attached Files:

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    Can anyone help with this? I have tried everything!

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4
    Picture is very unclear. Could you try and repost it?

6. Sep 26, 2007 #5
    nevermind about reposting. I see it clearly now. You are trying the find the voltage across that 60 ohm resistor?

7. Sep 26, 2007 #6
    I will attach a larger image, but you can try and expand the other one to view it better.
    Thanks for looking into this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  8. Sep 26, 2007 #7
    Yes I am trying to find that voltage between B and D. I used the above formula (which is given when all resistances are known, but it didn't work out. I am sure that I need to distribute the 60 ohm resistance across the other resistors somehow, but I am not sure how to. I couldn't find anything online to help me. As most problems are geard to find an unknown resistance.

9. Sep 27, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, I dislike using Wikipedia, but try this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatstone_bridge

Follow the equations and rewrite according to the orientation of one's problem as necessary, then follow the steps, but realize that the bridge is unbalanced and Ig is not zero.

The input voltage is given, and one needs to determine the potential difference across Rg, which is related to the potential differences VAB and VAD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?