1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wheel and turntable with different angular velocity

1. Oct 19, 2004 #1
    The axle of a wheel is mounted on supports that rest on a rotating turntable as shown in Fig. 10-50. The wheel has angular velocity w1 = 50.0 rad/s about its axle, and the turntable has angular velocity of w=35.0 rad/s about a vertical axis. (Note arrows showing these motions in the figure.)

here's the picture: http://www.geocities.com/sinceury/10-50.gif

What is the magnitude and direction of the angular acceleration of the wheel at the instant shown? Take the z axis vertically upward and the direction of the axle at the moment shown to be the x axis pointing to the right.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The angular velocity of the wheel is

[tex]\omega_{wheel} \left(\cos \omega_{table} t \hat i - \sin \omega_{table} t \hat j \right) + \omega_{"table"} \hat k[/tex]

from which you can find the angular acceleration by differentiating with respect to time. (I didn't check the signs carefully so check them - this will give you a start!)

4. Oct 20, 2004 #3
    I don't understand...

5. Oct 20, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the table were not turning the angular velocity of the wheel would be a vector with only x and y components. What I did was to take that angular velocity and rotated it as a function of time about the z axis. That's the first part of the expression I wrote. In fact, I chose the rotation rate to be that of the table upon which the wheel sits. (The [itex]\omega[/itex]'s are angular speeds - i.e. not vectors!.)

Imparting a rotation of the wheel about the z axis provides an additional component of the angular velocity of the wheel. That is the second term I wrote.

6. Oct 21, 2004 #5
    The angular acceleration acceleration is 50(cos35-sin35)...?

7. Oct 21, 2004 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. The expression I wrote is the angular velocity. To find the angular acceleration you will need to differentiate with respect to time. Don't forget the angular acceleration is a vector meaning it has both direction and magnitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?