Wheel Barrow Torque Problem

F = 6.67 N.In summary, the question asks for the force needed to balance a 20 N load placed 40 cm from the wheel with a force applied at a distance of 120 cm. Using the equation Tau = F r Sin(theta), the attempt at a solution calculates that a force of 6.67 N is needed to balance the load.
kathyt.25

Homework Statement

If the load placed in the wheel barrow weighs 20 N and is 40 cm
from the wheel, what force must be applied to the handles at a
distance of 120 cm in order to balance the load?

Homework Equations

Tau = F r Sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im really just guessing on how to do this, but here's my attempt..

Tau of load = (20N)(0.4m)Sin90
= 8N

therefore,
8N = (F)(1.2m)Sin90
6.67N = F --> Thats my answer

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is not very clear - what does "40 cm from the wheel" mean? If it means the force of gravity vector from the load center of mass passes a minimum of 40 cm from the center of the wheel, then your solution is correct. Perhaps a better way to understand it is to begin with the big picture:
Sum of Torques = I*α = 0 since there is not angular acceleration.
20*.4 - F*1.2 = 0

, but I'm not sure if its correct

I can confirm that your solution is correct. The torque equation you used, Tau = F*r*Sin(theta), is the correct equation to use in this scenario. You correctly calculated the torque of the load (8N) and then used it to solve for the force needed to balance the load (6.67N). Your answer is also reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem. Great job! Just remember to always double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

1. What is the "Wheel Barrow Torque Problem"?

The "Wheel Barrow Torque Problem" is a physics concept that describes the difficulty in lifting a heavy load in a wheelbarrow due to the placement of the load and the effort required to balance it.

2. How does the placement of the load affect the wheelbarrow's torque?

The placement of the load in the wheelbarrow affects the wheelbarrow's torque by changing the center of gravity. If the load is placed closer to the wheel, it decreases the torque and makes it easier to lift. However, if the load is placed further from the wheel, it increases the torque and makes it more difficult to lift.

3. What factors affect the amount of torque needed to lift a load in a wheelbarrow?

The amount of torque needed to lift a load in a wheelbarrow is affected by several factors, including the weight and placement of the load, the length of the wheelbarrow handles, and the force applied by the person lifting the wheelbarrow.

4. How can the wheelbarrow's design be improved to make it easier to lift heavy loads?

To make it easier to lift heavy loads with a wheelbarrow, the design can be improved by making the handles longer and placing the load closer to the wheel. This will decrease the amount of torque needed to lift the load and make it easier to balance.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding the "Wheel Barrow Torque Problem"?

Yes, understanding the "Wheel Barrow Torque Problem" is important for engineers and designers in industries such as construction and agriculture. By understanding the principles of torque and load placement, they can design more efficient and effective tools and equipment for lifting and transporting heavy loads.