Wheel Chair Automation: Reform for Electrical Power

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a voice-controlled wheelchair that operates using mechanical and electrical power. The speaker is seeking more information on how to modify a wheelchair to work with electrical power and mentions the possibility of using surplus or used powered wheelchairs for materials. They also suggest not using the same batteries for both powering the wheelchair and a computer to avoid issues.
Abdelrahman.Gh
i work on project to make the wheel chair works by voice commands
but the harder part that i want to use mechanical one and make it work by electrical power then by voice recognition
I need more information about how to reform the wheel chair to make work by electrical power ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Batteries, controls, and electric motors on the wheels...

I know but i mean in the physical (mechanical) formation

Abdelrahman.Gh said:
i work on project to make the wheel chair works by voice commands
but the harder part that i want to use mechanical one and make it work by electrical power then by voice recognition
I need more information about how to reform the wheel chair to make work by electrical power ?

Abdelrahman.Gh said:
I know but i mean in the physical (mechanical) formation

You know that such devices exist already, right? Have you looked at existing motorized wheelchairs? How are they powered and how are they put together?

Depending on where you live, you may be able to buy a surplus or used powered wheelchair for a pittance - I've paid as little as $10 for one that was complete (and also had a couple of nice linear actuators for other projects) that needed batteries... which are also cheap. Check local hospitals, nursing homes, retirement facilities, and the like for older models that might be lying around.
I would recommend NOT using the drive batteries to also power your computer, or it'll get wonky when you're low on power.

What is wheel chair automation?

Wheel chair automation is the process of adding electronic and mechanical components to a standard manual wheelchair to allow for easier movement and operation by the user.

What are the benefits of wheel chair automation?

Some of the benefits of wheel chair automation include increased independence and mobility for individuals with physical disabilities, reduced strain on caregivers, and improved overall quality of life.

How does wheel chair automation work?

Wheel chair automation typically involves the installation of a motor, battery, and control system onto a manual wheelchair. The user can then operate the wheelchair using a joystick or other control mechanism.

Can any wheelchair be automated?

Not all wheelchairs are compatible with automation. It is important to consult with a professional to determine if your current wheelchair can be automated or if you need to purchase a specific type of wheelchair for automation.

Are there any safety concerns with wheel chair automation?

As with any electronic or mechanical device, there are potential safety concerns with wheel chair automation. It is important to use caution and follow all instructions and safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be done to ensure the safety of the user.