What is the minimum force needed to make a wheel climb a step?

In summary, to find the minimum force needed for a wheel of mass M and radius R to climb a step of height h, you must set the torque created by the applied force F equal to the torque created by the weight of the wheel. This can be done by finding the torques about the pivot point and setting them equal to each other. The required force will be greatest initially, when the torque due to gravity is greatest. So, in order to just get the wheel over the step, the applied force must be equal to the weight of the wheel.
Carpe Mori

Homework Statement

a wheel of mass M has a radius R It is standing vertically on the floor and we want to exert a horizontal force F at its axle so that it will climb a step against which it rests. The step has a height h where h<R what is the minimum force F needed?

Homework Equations

torque = Ia
torque = FR

The Attempt at a Solution

Alrighty so i know that to solve this problem i will have to set the torque created by F equal to torque created by the weight of the wheel (Tf = Tw) and then solve for F but i honestly have no idea how to do this. There was another topic created for this problem but i could not follow what they did =\

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=30938

help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are only two forces to worry about: Find torques about the pivot point (where the wheel touches the step).

Start by drawing a diagram showing the forces and which way they act.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/giddyrayne/Picture018.jpg

I understand torque = perpendicular force * radius

but it seems to me that the force's angle to the pivot point keeps changing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carpe Mori said:
but it seems to me that the force's angle to the pivot point keeps changing.
True, but so what? You're asked to find the minimum force that would get it over the step. (At what point is the required force greatest?)

When the torque due to gravity is not greater than the torque due to the force...or i guess the force just has to be equal to it sooo when Tf=Tw?

At any point, in order to just get the wheel over the step Tf=Tw. The required force will be greatest initially, since that's the point where Tw is greatest. That's all you need to consider to find the minimum force.

1. What is "Wheel Climbing a Step Force"?

"Wheel Climbing a Step Force" is a phenomenon that occurs when a wheel moves up and over a step or obstacle due to the application of a force on the wheel's edge.

2. How does "Wheel Climbing a Step Force" work?

When a force is applied to the edge of a wheel, the wheel rotates and the contact point with the ground moves forward. This creates a moment that causes the wheel to climb up and over the step.

3. What determines the ability of a wheel to climb a step force?

The ability of a wheel to climb a step force depends on several factors, including the size and shape of the wheel, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the surface properties of the wheel and the step.

4. What are the practical applications of "Wheel Climbing a Step Force"?

"Wheel Climbing a Step Force" has practical applications in various fields, such as robotics, transportation, and construction. It can be used to develop efficient and versatile wheel designs for different types of vehicles and machinery.

5. Are there any limitations to "Wheel Climbing a Step Force"?

While "Wheel Climbing a Step Force" is a useful phenomenon, it also has limitations. It may not work on certain surfaces or with certain wheel designs, and the applied force must be within a certain range for it to be effective.